Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2007, 02:50 PM   #1

Your advice on a 2001 Boxster for $20k

Guys,

As you know with some of my other posts, I'm in the market and have been selectively looking for the right Boxster both in quality, price and not having the pit in my stomache.

This is what I have narrowed it down to and want any advice and brutal honesty please.

I am talking to a one owner private seller who is selling a 2001 Blue Boxster base with grey interior, blue top with 46,254 miles and is firm on $20k. Car Fax (for what it's worth) does show one owner as well. He said he has had all maintenance done on it when required by Porsche.

He put new Pirelli tires on it 7,000 miles ago, and he said Porsche honored full routine maintenance at 38,000 miles because even though he was over 4 years, he was at 38,000 miles. It was Paul Miller Porsche in NU. Thats the last Porsche dealer maintenance that was done. Since then, he has gotten another oil change, put a brand new clutch in, new front headlight bulb that went out, new ignition which went out, a new battery (he keeps it covered during the winter in NJ) so maybe it died and he had a local guy who refurbishes Porsche convertable tops only, put a new plastic window in the top. It looks perfect. He said the guy also replaced some cables or something inside the top that looked worn.

He said he's been fortunate to never have any leaks or anything and that all the above stuff seemed to be routing wear and tear (the old plastic window was fogged). He said it has always run great.

For options, it has the cd changer, 18" Turbo Rims, stability control.

I have not seen it in person yet. He sent me a bunch of pics which I will attempt to attach here and I am planning to drive the hour to NJ from PA to check it out within the next couple of days. He said I can feel free to take it to any mechanic of my choice. He and his wife just had there first baby 2 weeks ago, and he said he just doesn't drive it much. I'm saying this because I felt really comfortable with him. He spent 30 minutes on the phone answering my questions. He said he has all maintenance records and receipts.

He was honest to tell me the only thing it needs is a brake job. He hasn't done a break job at all and he gives it 3-6k miles left on it. He said it will need full front and rear brakes and would cost anywhere from $1200 -$1500 if it need rotars which he thinks it won't. Probably just pads and sensors (your thoughts?)

He said he also had it fully detailed and had the carpets cleaned as well. He said dealers have called him wanting to buy it and he said he won't sell it to them so they can turn around and sell it for $3k more. He wants to sell it to someone who truly wants a Porsche.

I have 2 other cars, a Pilot that my wife drives and a Hyundai Sonata that I use to commute to work. I was thinking of buying the Boxster as a 3rd car for me to drive sometimes to work on nice days and on the weekends and just take care of it and keep it for years to come. Is this a good plan?

Thanks,
Paul

icedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:29 PM   #2

I'd tell him that if he is willing to pay for a PPI and it comes back clean outside of what he has told you, you'll take it.
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:32 PM   #3

thanks Jump

So, good deal overall if PPI comes back good?
Old 04-28-2007, 03:38 PM   #4

this is his last email back to me on the brakes. I asked if he would split the cost.

Hey Paul, thanks for the quick reply. Yes, the car is in unbelievable shape... true to my words. Based on what I was quoted, Paul Miller to do the pads will cost $534 before taxes so its looking like a $600 job tops. The roters should be fine, so I'm basing this on just replacing the pads in front and the rear as well as the sensors which will need to be changed along with the pads.

Its got about 3 - 6K miles to go before the light sensor goes off....could be a little more or less.

I would agree to split the cost, but the truth is that I put $6500 into it in the last 6 months to re-furbish it to its original condition and selling it for less would cost me a loss on the car.

I'm really just looking to break even which 20,000 allows me to do that.

I hope you understand.

Keep me posted.

Alex
Old 04-28-2007, 04:17 PM   #5

Get the PPI; sounds like a good deal to me. For what it's worth I just paid 20k for a 1999 with 22.5k miles on it.
Atari-style PCM Navigation
OEM Carrera Lights
B&M clone short shifter
Crappy stereo
HIFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:25 PM   #6

If you've got even a small amount of tools and are slightly mechanically inclined, you could slap the pads and sensors on yourself with very little effort. You'd save about $350, too.

Car does sound nice.

Sold September 4th, 2007.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:37 PM   #7

If the PPI comes back clean, I'd jump on it. And the brake job is a snap...an hour to 1 1/2 tops if you've never done one before. And you CAN do it. Its got fairly new tires, a new rear window, battery, and a few other things. It sounds like a good deal to me. When you see it in person and if its as nice as presented, get the PPI and go for it.

BTW.. those are probably the smallest pictures I've seen.. hard to tell much about it from them

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:46 PM   #8

pictures

I know, but they are big when I open them on my computer. I want you guys to see them large, especially the new window. Maybe you can cut and paste them into your photo software and reopen them?
Old 04-28-2007, 05:47 PM   #9

the brake job

So, with 46k miles on it, does it just need brake pads or more expensive brake work?
Old 04-28-2007, 06:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedude
So, with 46k miles on it, does it just need brake pads or more expensive brake work?
Hopefully the PPI will reveal what needs done. It looks like a fair price. I would be scared buying a "bargain" with a Porsche. Looks like it was taken care of.
Heated Seats / Cruise
Traction Control / Factory Hardtop
Bumper Plugs / Zaino Z2 Z6 Z8
jci-joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:04 PM   #11

sounds fine here. just got a '99 with 65k for just under 20k last month, though I think I will need some tires soon. other wise in excellent condition.
later
rockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:52 PM   #12

Get it. I paid 25K for mine at a dealer with 45K miles on it. You are getting it for a good deal. I wish mine had the equipment yours does too. Hehe... you are going to love it.
conradtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:25 AM   #13

thanks guys.

Conrad,

I saw some of your other postings with your pics. I think you have the same color combo on the Porsche, right? Looks awesome!

Paul

Hey, just in case I lost my job or something over the next couple of years. With me driving it a limited amount of time and taking care of it, if I ever needed to sell it, I could get $20k back out of it couldn't I? My goal is to keep it of course because I've wanted one for a very long time. I'm just a very conservative, careful type of person (well, behind the wheel, I'm a banshee!) hehe
Old 04-29-2007, 07:28 AM   #14

You could always look at mine...

It's a 2001, silver, Boxster red full leather interior.

5 speed.

And it's got 16,000 miles on it. Garaged always.

Just a thought. PM me if interested.

I'd like to see $24K-ish.

Best,

- Mark
Houston C4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:32 PM   #15

Brakes are easy... about $110 in parts and a couple hours and you're set. Sounds like a well cared-for car.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote