Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2007, 11:09 AM   #1

Strut Bar Question

I was thinking of ordering this. I'm actually online ready to click "Buy Now", then I amusingly remembered to ask the forum first. What do you guys think? It says it's for a boxster S, which I don't have. Mine is a base 01. It should still fit right?

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/4208_4211/products_id/23999

conradtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:45 AM   #2

Hi,

It says Boxster/S meaning both. IIRC, there were some members who got the Schnell Brace and had some difficulty in installing it - not a precise fit. They got them in, but after some additional effort by all reports.

I got the Brace(s) made by Racing Dynamics and they were great, easy 20 min. installation.

They really improved the handling and rigidity of the car. I recommend them...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:01 PM   #3

WOW! A part you ACTUALLY approve of! Hehe... I think its a first from you Jim! Well here's the thing, I have $100 credit at that place. I either use it or lose it. Do you know exactly the difficulties I'm facing should I order the strut from them? I realize that's difficult to find out.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:39 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
yea WOW! is a word, Jim approves of something heeh.
well thats good then, lets get a group buy (if jim approves) and we should all get one now heheh

i was actuallyt hinking of getting one few weeks ago
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:06 PM   #5

My car has 145k miles on it, and creeked a little bit, after installing a front strut brace the creakes have 95% disapeared.

I recomend one on higher mileage cars just for that reason.

Gary

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
yea WOW! is a word, Jim approves of something heeh.
well thats good then, lets get a group buy (if jim approves) and we should all get one now heheh

i was actuallyt hinking of getting one few weeks ago

Group buy - does that equal some savings? If so, I'm in!
Old 04-29-2007, 05:52 AM   #7

Schnell Brace

Installed only the front Schell shock tower brace so far. Very easy, no problems with fit etc. Looks decent in black, decent price. Front end tighter for sure. Have not yet ordered the rear brace just yet as I am not sure the back really needs it but am open to suggestions.

AKL

'02 2.7 Tip
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:45 AM   #8

I think I read somewhere that the rear strut tower was a was a waste of your hard earned dollars. It was the Boxster Racing Board. The general opinion was that the rear strut area was extremely strong and wouldn't benefit from the additional brace. I'm sure there are various opinions on this. My wife bought me a Schnell front and rear brace for Christmas last year and while I noticed a huge difference when I put the front on I did not notice any difference at all with the rear brace. So I took it off, then put it back on, then took it off again and I could not notice a difference either way. Considering it was a gift from the wife it is back on for good now. Getting only the front brace was a smart move. As mentioned the rear Schnell brace is a pain in the ass to install. Now if you want to really experience a difference put some coilovers on that puppy and get an aggressive alignment!

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:26 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Is this the same one everyone has,

http://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/poboall9scfr.html
Old 04-29-2007, 11:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Is this the same one everyone has,

http://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/poboall9scfr.html
It is but you can usually find it cheapest from Vertex in their eBay auctions. I think my wife paid $139.00 for mine.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:42 PM   #11

Bought mine from Vertex at the same price, $139.00 They put them on sale every so often but don't forget to mention the 986Forum (they are sponsors), PCA or whatever as you may get the sale price even if they are not currently running it. Mine is all black, very light weight and was a cinch to install up front. No issues getting it behind the battery. It did tighten up the front end, hit a bump now and the whole front end goes bang instead of just the wheel involved.

AKL
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:38 PM   #12

Cool! This will be my next mod. Just bought the "flies off at high speed" rear wing. Wish me luck! Hehe...
Old 06-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #13

Does anyone have the racing dynamic rear strut brace?
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:47 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by conradtan
I was thinking of ordering this. I'm actually online ready to click "Buy Now", then I amusingly remembered to ask the forum first. What do you guys think? It says it's for a boxster S, which I don't have. Mine is a base 01. It should still fit right?

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/4208_4211/products_id/23999
Before you click the "buy now" button, I would check with Vivid to make sure that they have it . For whatever reason, the Schnell strut braces from time to time are hard to get. And they are often out of stock with a lot of suppliers; especially the rear one .

In any case, as far as adding the rear brace is concerned, I stalled one for the same reason as the front; namely, to tighten things up and reduce body or "cowl shake" that is inherent with all convertible vehicles. However, in retrospect I would say that the addition of the front brace was far more significant at reducing this problem than the rear was. And I would agree with the forum members who indicated that the installation of the rear brace was tricky .

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 06-12-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:59 AM   #15
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
Before you click the "buy now" button, I would check with Vivid to make sure that they have it . For whatever reason, the Schnell strut braces from time to time are hard to get. And they are often out of stock with a lot of suppliers; especially the rear one .
His post was from April 2007. I would hope he would have hit the buy it now button by now.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:48 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
His post was from April 2007. I would hope he would have hit the buy it now button by now.

Ooops, I didn't notice ! He might not even have the vehicle at this point.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
Does anyone have the racing dynamic rear strut brace?
My car has the dynamic rear brace. Easy installation. Definitely improves the car beyond what just the front brace did.

Some argue (mainly those without one) that the handling is unaffected, but I can definitelt tell a difference. Also, all minor squeaks and rattles are gone. This alone made it worth it for me.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
My car has the dynamic rear brace. Easy installation. Definitely improves the car beyond what just the front brace did.

Some argue (mainly those without one) that the handling is unaffected, but I can definitelt tell a difference. Also, all minor squeaks and rattles are gone. This alone made it worth it for me.

Cheers!
Yes this what I was after....I have the rennline front coming but no rear. Any dealer that you recommend or just do a search online? what does the construction look like?
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
Yes this what I was after....I have the rennline front coming but no rear. Any dealer that you recommend or just do a search online? what does the construction look like?
I have the Rennline front brace as well. I found it to be the most impressive of the lot. Unfortunately, they don't make a rear. However, Schnell does, along with an another company that I came across called OBX Racing. Frankly, I found the two of them to be virtually identical (and they probably are). Since the Schnell was out of stock at the time (no supplier had it), I opted for the OBX. This brace can be purchased for cheap money on Ebay, and my opinion its on par with any other brace that I have come across in terms of quality and material.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 06-12-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #20

Garage
If you're looking for something more light weight and up scale, you should check out this company:

http://www.titaniumadvantage.com/products.html