Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2007, 11:23 PM   #1

where to buy aftermarket shift knobs for boxster manual tranny?

just wondering where to buy an aftermarket shift knob for my boxster manual tranny.. looked on ebay but none for boxster...bought a universal one today but won't fit the knife looking stalk that the knob comes off....thanks

mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:23 AM   #2

i wanna get this thread back on the top. are there any aftermarket shift knobs at all for our porsches? we don't use the typical threaded linkage, so all those aftermarket knobs are out of the question. i just want a plain ball knob.
boxsteranthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:53 AM   #3

What type of shifter are you looking for? I would think you would want to stay OEM in this area, as it can really impact the look and feel of your car. The stock shifter has a very nice feel to it, unless you have one of the early ball types. If so, look for the later style, as it will be a big improvement. Aftermarket usually equals "cheese" in my book.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #4

i think this satin finish knob will look much better than my beige/silver knob in my '99 boxster

boxsteranthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:20 AM   #5
Rennzenn

Garage
I was at CDOC the other day and I had a look at a couple of Momo and OMP knobs. I don't think there's anything that just pops on like stock. All of the knobs would require the shifter arm to be ground down a bit in order to fit. Fortunately, the knobs are secured by set screws, so that part is easy.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:52 AM   #6

Try this link for a OEM ball shifter

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=98642498100or05XXX&Category_Code=POTEBXCC

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:37 AM   #7

Wow. $400 for a ball shifter from Suncoast. Must have that Porsche tax stuck on it.

I have a leather shifter handle out of my car that I'll sell you. It's not the ball sort, but the regular updated sort of shifter. I will work in any 97-02 boxster.

Some of the silver peeled off it so I removed it all and it is totally black now. The plastic under the silver paint is nice and shiny.

It has a 6 speed diagram on the top of it, but if you have a 5 speed I think you can buy another 5 speed plastic insert and pop it in. No source for this bit though...

$75

PM me if you are interested.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:02 AM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Here's mine. Factory upgraded aluminum/leather knob with silver trim boot that I added:

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Wow. $400 for a ball shifter from Suncoast. Must have that Porsche tax stuck on it...
$400 Indeed! C'mon, think about it, it's just a shift knob! I can think of much better places to stick $400 into the car. 'Course, to each their own.

Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote