Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2007, 11:42 PM   #1

Another new(used) boxster owner...I LUV it!!

hi, guys just bought my boxster last week....its a 97 artic silver with red leather interior, 5 speed manual with 39k on it. Previous owner drove it less than 7k in past two years....did the 30k service about a year ago and changed rear brakes as fronts were still good...had a small crack in the rear plastic window but was clear so i just used some 1x1 clear tape and viola good as kinda new...just changed the rear tires..bought the car for 13.5k... i think i got a pretty good deal...switched over from a z3 and i love the porshce....except for the cost of maintenance...need to change oil...love reading the forums but you guys are scaring the SH_T out of me in regards to the rms and all that....when i change oil should i be looking for anything while i'm under the car??? also what oil grade should i use?? Thanks guys..oh sorry you to gals....

mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:07 AM   #2

most people recommend Mobil 1 0W40 but honestly, I think 10W30 or 10W40 synthetic oil should be fine too unless you live in very cold climate. Look for any obvious oil leaks when you are under the car. Enjoy your Porsche!
porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:24 AM   #3

I to switched over from a z3. I'm lovin' the boxster way more. I just changed my oil myself about 2 days ago and I used the MB 1 0w40. It wasn't a bad job at all. The oil is super pricey, but you should be able to DIY for no more than $85. Its a fun car...look into desnorkling it sometime. Its a sweet mod that I just did. Wish i'd done it a long time ago. Have fun w/it. Its not as fragile as its made out to be. Keep up w/maintenance and you should be fine w/it.
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:59 AM   #4

Welcome to the fold! Now go take some pictures of that bad boy!

I have to admit, the prevalence of problems mentioned on some of these forums scared me a little... but you have to learn to keep it out of your mind. It's not very likely to happen, it's just that when it does, it gets posted and parrotted all over the boards, making it seem like it's much more common than it is.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:09 PM   #5

Your oil information should be in your owners manual. Hopefully it came with your car. On some of the later models they even started putting a big sticker on the inside of the trunk so the person changing the oil could not miss it. It states to use MOBIL1 oil only. By the way, if you start to see a small amount of oil dripping under your car towards the rear, then you may have an RSM leak, other wise just keep an eye out for it on the ground in that area.

I noticed that you said your car had the red leather interior, was that for select models only? Anyone know? I thought only the aniversary model came with that color interior? Is yours a special edition model?

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 04-19-2007 at 01:12 PM.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:35 PM   #6

don't know if its a special edition color on the inside but i actually like the color combo as it kinda sets it aside from the silver and black combo....i thought of using the 15 50 mobile 1 oil as it says its guaranteed for 15k....any opinions on the oil grade..thanks.
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:28 PM   #7

I would only use 0 W 40 Mobile 1 period.
Heated Seats / Cruise
Traction Control / Factory Hardtop
Bumper Plugs / Zaino Z2 Z6 Z8
jci-joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:42 PM   #8

I'm going to stick with Mobil 1 0w40 myself.

Had fun when I changed the oil the first time in January... Went to Walmart... they only had 7 quarts... went to a few small parts stores... a couple didn't have any, one had 9 quarts... so I bought all 9, and had to go back to WalMart for a couple extras!

And that 15 quart drain pan (the flat/cylindrical shaped one with the drain spout off one end) almost couldn't keep up with the flow of oil!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote