Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2007, 07:23 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
question about conv. top care

ever since i bought the car i kinda left the top untouched (mainly couse i drove w the hardtop on). every wash i had w the canvas top i just hosed it off and dryed it by just using a microfiber towel and lightly tapping the top with it and it dryed of most of it.
im about to buy the Raggtopp Fabric protectant and treat the top with that ( i know i should have done it before, but better now than never)
1. what should i initally clean the top befor applying the protectant? (i know that i need to do a good amount of masking off, as read on autopia site on conv top discussion)
2. what is the difference between RAGGTOPP™ FABRIC PROTECTANT and RAGGTOPP™ CONVERTIBLE/SOFT TOP CLEANER AND PROTECTANT, and do i reallly need to buy both?
3. i have the meguiars PlastX clear plastic polish, havent had much success at cleaning the rear window, havent tried the RO on it, would it be safe to use on the rear plastic window?

thx guys

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:43 AM   #2

In Before PerfectLap!

Yes, you should clean the top before putting the protectant on. The Raggtopp Canvas Cleaner should be what you want to use. Gently scrub with a soft tip brush and rinse before applying the protectant.

(I haven't done this myself... but I've read PerfectLap describe the process... and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!)

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:12 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i was just thinking that if i can clean it with something else not to waste money on the cleaner, but rather to just buy the protectant.

but also, is the cleaner the one used for spot cleaning of stains/bird crap and stuff like that? if yes then its a good investment

just getting some info before i spend the $

and wow FrayAdjacent,
i cant believe you answered a detailing/cleaning Q before PerfectLap , is he slacking or what?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:02 AM   #4

You want to use the RaggTop cleaner. Rub gently with a soft brush, rise thoroughly, let dry completely. Then apply a few coats of the protectant, waiting half an hour between coats. Let the whole thing dry for a day before you let it see moisture. Repeat as needed to keep the top beading.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:51 AM   #5

i WOULD THINK

I would think that using the cleaner would be a definate, for a first time application. Do it right.

My question is, after the intial cleaning and protection, if you used the cleaner again, wouldn't that just scrub off the protection layer?
Old 04-18-2007, 08:01 AM   #6

yes the cleaner removes the protectant.

I use the oxo feather tip car wash brush for the cleaner (detailcity.com).
Absorber sponge towel to dry and re-apply the protectant in coats.
Rinse with a strong stream of water in between cleansing, if you can see the dirt it's time to rinse.

Before cleansing with Raggtopp I would rinse the top and scrub out any detergent soap that might have gotten in there from previous car washsings.
You don't want car wash soap getting on the canvas, attracts dirt which leads to the threads breaking down when the top is lowered and rubs agains the bows.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote