Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2007, 10:21 AM   #1

Removing 987 Side Vents

Anyone???? Anyone??? I did a search and found one link with instructions from a PPBB user but I'm not having much luck....has anyone popped them off and know how much force is required or the trick to it....I naturally would like to avoid cracking them....

super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
bmussatti

Supper, go to www.renntech.org. In the "search" function, type in"Mystery of the 987 Side Vent" and you will find a helpful post (with pictures).
Old 04-16-2007, 05:31 PM   #3

I also have found 3 guides and none of which give me the right tips. They make it sound so simple but I find it so difficult.

One tip you may find useful is that they say the plastic is flexible and will not crack.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:53 AM   #4
1JB

Rentech has a description. I could not get mine off though. I ended up taking to the dealer when I swapped them out for painted vents from BumperPlugs. The dealer had a hard time as well. At one point they told me they may break the clip on the vent if they kept trying. They finally got them off without breaking anything.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:20 AM   #5

thanks guys.....I found those same directions actually on ppbb......they don't really help....I called the dealer and the guy was like this willbe the first time we do this.....you can watch us so you can see how long it takes.....they wouldn't quote me a time frame which is concern with labor at 125......I think I'll yank on them some more tonight....
Old 04-17-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
1JB

My dealer charged my $60. It took them about 1/2 an hour but they agreed that's what they would charge regardless of the time. Tell your dealer that's what you'll pay them. It's learning experience for them if it's their first time and you're not paying for their ignorance so they can learn at your expense.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
Old 04-17-2007, 11:37 AM   #7

good idea.....bmussati, who popped out your vents? was it motorwerks? I didn't think you bought yours at motorwerks....
Old 04-17-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
good idea.....bmussati, who popped out your vents? was it motorwerks? I didn't think you bought yours at motorwerks....
Bumperplugs shipped my painted vents directly to the dealership (in Dayton, OH) and they installed the vents for my salesperson prior to delivery. It was $20.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:37 PM   #9

Here's how..i would not ever pay the dealer to do something this simple..

http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/showproduct.php?product=28&cat=4
davezaristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:31 AM   #10
1JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezaristo
Here's how..i would not ever pay the dealer to do something this simple..

http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/showproduct.php?product=28&cat=4
It's not that simple on some Boxsters believe me. I wrestled with them for hours and couldn't get the second clip to budge. The dealer warned me they were on so tightly the might break the originals before finally gettng them off. The Cayman vents are also installed differently from the those on the Boxster I believe.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
Old 04-27-2007, 06:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JB
It's not that simple on some Boxsters believe me. I wrestled with them for hours and couldn't get the second clip to budge. The dealer warned me they were on so tightly the might break the originals before finally gettng them off. The Cayman vents are also installed differently from the those on the Boxster I believe.
I have to second this statement having actually pulled them off.....it is not that simple to get them off....putting them on is very easy.....getting the vent out of there is a nightmare....especially when you are trying to not break them for your core deposit.....you can do it yourself, I have with minor consequence, but I would never offer to help another member with their vents cause I wouldn't want that repsonsibility....it was a bear of a job imo