986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   starting the car (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10550)

djomlas 04-08-2007 06:41 PM

starting the car

so sometimes when i turn the key, and car starts, it makes this really loud squeeling kinda noise, hard to explain.
it doesnt happen every time, but it does from time to time.

anyone else experience this?
i have no idea what it can be or how to fix it (whatever it is)

any help anyone?

wvicary 04-08-2007 06:53 PM

It could be the starter drive bushing.... sorta sounds like a high pitched chirp/squeal as the starter disengages.

clb0099 04-10-2007 06:20 AM

is there a fix to this?

Perfectlap 04-10-2007 06:48 AM

I've had the same problem for a while now. Hope its not time for a new starter motor. Those are expensive. I'm going to have them check it out when I get my yearly servicing.

porschedude 04-10-2007 08:19 AM

I am going to guess it could be the belt wearing out. I would spray the belt with silicone or belt dressing and see what happens. When starters were out, they don't make that kind of noise....usually you have to crank 3-4 times before engine starts...that's a sign starter or battery is going out. You can check the condition of the belt by removing the heat shield cover behind your seats....it's quite easy (abt 8 screws) but the cover edges are sharp. If you see some tiny line cracks in the belt, it's time to replace.

Perfectlap 04-10-2007 08:36 AM

well that's good to hear, it always starts on the first turn...just sometimes, even after I;ve been driving for a while and the oil temp is operational, I'll turn it off to stop somewhere for a few minutes, turn it back on and it squeals when I fire it up. And everyone around looks at me like I ran over a dog...

clb0099 04-10-2007 09:11 AM

sorry if i sound stupid hear but what belt would need to be replaced?

MNBoxster 04-10-2007 09:18 AM

Hi,

Do not use Silicone or Belt Dressing - it'll attack the Belt.

While there is a possibility it's the belt. There was also a TSB out years ago stating that it was due to a resonent frequency in the Alloy Pulley and a switch to a Steel Pulley with a different resonance eliminated the squeal...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Perfectlap 04-10-2007 09:43 AM

where can one find these TSB's online?
I mentioned one about windshield replacements to the Safelite window guy and he looked at me like he had never heard of of TSB's.

djomlas 04-10-2007 10:09 AM

i replaced the belt about 800 miles ago, and this noise was present before that as well....so i dunno now

so Jim,
is this causing any damage? or is the only problem the noise, couse i dont care about the noise to be honest i just wanna know if its gonna mess anything else up.

CJ_Boxster 04-10-2007 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
i replaced the belt about 800 miles ago, and this noise was present before that as well....so i dunno now

so Jim,
is this causing any damage? or is the only problem the noise, couse i dont care about the noise to be honest i just wanna know if its gonna mess anything else up.

Have you tried starting the engine with the front cover off and throwing a monkey wrench at it.

Seriously, start it with the cover off to better hear where abouts the noise originates.

FrayAdjacent 04-10-2007 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas

so Jim,

What it sounds like is one of the pulley's is resonating, or 'vibrating' due to it's mass being in harmonic with some other vibrations that occur during startup.

I doubt it would be causing damage, although vibrations can be bad.

I'd like to see the TSB about it. I think mine sometimes makes a noise like you're describing, but it seems to be less often now.

porschedude 04-10-2007 01:12 PM

The pulley problem may be it but I really don't know. However, I never heard of silicone or belt dressing "attacking" the drive belt like MNBoxster said. I have done that for years and never had a problem. Silicone conditions the belts but I don't know if it prolongs the life. I use it on belts and other rubber parts like hoses....works fine.

clb0099 04-10-2007 01:16 PM

well , I started my car today close 50 degrees and there was no noise at all . I called suncoast ordered a new belt going to replace on the weekend and hope maybe that is it. I have one favor anyone of a good picture of how the belt is suppose to run on the pulleys just in case whn i take the other one off and forget .

Perfectlap 04-10-2007 01:30 PM

Toolpants has library full of nice photos on Renntech.org

porschedude 04-10-2007 01:34 PM

See attachment for picture. You should be able to search the board for instructions.

boggtown 04-10-2007 01:43 PM

Ya, I know what your talking about, it happens to me about once in 50-75 starts. It seemed to be more prevelent when it was really cold, maybe once in the morning when I went to start the car after it hadnt been started in a couple days. Sounds more like a reeeerrrrrrrr to me (about one second long, with a low to mid pitch)

clb0099 04-10-2007 03:31 PM

I just bought the belt like i said.. but i just tried to start the car and again nothing it sat for 3 hrs and didn't make the noise maybe I am losing it..

Perfectlap 04-10-2007 03:53 PM

did you have to replace your throttle body at any point? I replaced mine just before the squeal first started appearing. I think that I might have put something out of whack in the starter when I was struggling to turn the engine over with the old defective throttle body....time to book my servicing now.

clb0099 04-10-2007 04:12 PM

lap ,

what dealership are bring it to and please do tells what they tell where ever you go.