Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2007, 09:08 AM   #1

Windshield replacement

Who here has had their windshield replaced? Who did you use? How much did it cost?

I got a crack in the driver's side that's gonna run for the edges for sure when it warms up. Grrrr.

Lowest price I found was with GlassOne for $475 installed. I also have a $500 deductible so I'm out of pocket for the whole thing.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:09 AM   #2

I have had 3 windshields. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10360

What brand glass is the $475 quote for?
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:16 PM   #3

I had mine replaced. I called my dealer and they recommended a shop (the one that does their replacements at the dealership). It was FREE. Most insurance has a glass policy that is not impacted by the deductible.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:54 PM   #4

Jeff, I have no idea as of yet as to the brand of glass... I was checking online this afternoon after I discovered it. I'll report back. Interesting thread over on PPBB... thanks for directing me to that.

DrBurton: I will call my insurance company, but if I am not mistaken I raised my $50 glass policy to $500 a number of years ago to save about $75 a year on insurance. I might regret doing that!
Old 04-08-2007, 08:17 PM   #5

I was banned from peetie's board 6 years ago. The link is to renntech.org.

Windshield #2 might still be in the dumpster if you want it....

I have watched several 996/986 windshield replacements over the years. Nothing special - just a glued in windshield like other cars. When I'm ready for #4 I might do it myself. So, do not let them jack up the price because is it a Porsche.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 04-08-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
I had mine replaced. I called my dealer and they recommended a shop (the one that does their replacements at the dealership). It was FREE. Most insurance has a glass policy that is not impacted by the deductible.
Hi,

Only in MN - the State's individual Insurance Regulations determine whether it is a deductible or not...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:28 AM   #7

windshield

Hello guys and gals, I used to install windshield as part of my car top business. I found the aftermarket glass is a bit stronger than oem. I changed more oem than aftermarket. Just fyi. Also, let car sti for 24 hours for uerathane to cure!!!!
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:59 AM   #8

Windshield Replacement

Hey Randall,

I'm right next door in San Antonio and had mine replaced last May at a Triumph auto glass location. The installer said he was the "one" who our local Porsche Dealer calls when they needed a replacement for a customer.

I think I paid $350-$375 plus a $20 to the installer for an after market "Pinkerton" screen. I can't tell the difference and Fit and finish was great.

The only change I would have made is to order the glass without the "puck" for the stock review mirror and install a "Detroit Wedge" for a small auto dim mirror with Homelink to open the neighborhood gate and garage door.

Mark Hudson
2001 Seal Grey 986
San Antonio, Texas

Last edited by mwh98; 04-16-2007 at 02:48 PM.
mwh98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:07 AM   #9

Safelite, they will even come to you. I drove it checked out the glass before hand (had the sekurit stamp in the corner like my factory one). Cost was $430 installed.
I heard $350 installed in Conneticut (yep OEM glass). Safelite pricing varies by region. I think the dealership wanted $450 for the glass alone...weird.
Except the guy doing the job didn't bother to cover my dash and put a small nick it it. They also didn't open the hood to allow access to the wiper cover thing which they tried to remove with a screw driver. Put a small chip in the paint from prying against the edge of the hood. They called me back to arrange for a repair. Other wise I've had no problems with windshield itself or leaking or any of that.
Just watch out for the dash and open the hood. THe guy who did my car should have been canned.

p.s.
inspect your glass regularly for small chips. I didn't realize I had one which could have been repairable at first. I only noticed it when it became a 4" crack. too late at that point.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-13-2007 at 09:12 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Who here has had their windshield replaced? Who did you use? How much did it cost?

I got a crack in the driver's side that's gonna run for the edges for sure when it warms up. Grrrr.

Lowest price I found was with GlassOne for $475 installed. I also have a $500 deductible so I'm out of pocket for the whole thing.
Hey Randall,
I know a guy at Safelite Houston that I would trust to replace my window. How much? I don't know. But how big is the crack in the first place?
Old 04-20-2007, 08:45 AM   #11

Triumph Auto Glass just finished installing my new windshield at my office. $375 including tax. Not bad.

I bought a replacement frame and gasket from Sunset at a whopping cost of $90, half of which was shipping on a massive, yet light as a feather box.

Then, the installer found that the frame was cracked on the inside and could not be used, so I called Sunset and they're giving me a full credit on both pieces, including the shipping costs. Sunset has excellent customer service, that's for sure.

So, the installer used the universal trim he had with him, which was what I had on the car. Evidently, the windshield had been replaced before I owned it and they used aftermarket glass and aftermarket trim as well. So it looks the same now, but without the ding in the driver's field of view and the zillion sandblasted pits all over it.

It's like driving a brand new car now. I love new tires and new windshields.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:04 AM   #12

if the roads are bad in Houston you should look into a stonguard for windshields.
They are allegedly optically clear.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:51 PM   #13

That is a good deal. What brand glass? Might go to Texas when it is time for windshield #4.

1997 does not have a frame (glass people call it a moulding) as that started around 1998 or 1999. But, as you said, your windshield had been replaced before. Mine had been replaced before but I had just the rubber seal, which was reused because it had not been glued in when windshield #2 was put in.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:51 PM   #14

Pinkerton is the brand they put in. Looks like factory glass to me though... green stripe at the top, antenna in the center, nice and clean.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #15

Pilkington?
Old 04-21-2007, 05:37 AM   #16

yeah, what you said!
Old 04-21-2007, 07:38 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Travis
I did a search on them, they have been around quite a long time and have gotten some great reviews.

A little history: http://www.glasslinks.com/newsinfo/pilk_history.htm

Good deal there Randall, I am bookmarking them for the early future

Travis is offline   Reply With Quote