Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2007, 10:05 AM   #1

Am I cheap? Story of a front bumper...

Well, about 3 months ago I was stupid enough to lock myself out of the car without the spare key nearby. However, I called 1-800-PORSCHE to call for a tow vehicle to unlock the car at the dealership or whatever they do best.

Well they told me a guy will come and unlock the car. Guess what? The guy the moment he walks out of his van mentions to me he never has done a Porsche. Next thing you know he pulls out a stick and tries to go through the window to click the trunk button down there.

During the process he scratched my black plastic part that connects the top with the window. You can see it on the GAHH yellow boxster commercial to your left on this website if it is on. Its the trim around the top.

The scratches were a lot and noticeable and caused alot of frustration. Turned out the guy left and I got my spare key 3-4 days after (was not near at home). I called back the 1800 number and was furious with the service and how come they sent me such an inexperienced guy to unlock my car - despite my stupidity. They said they can even replace the whole top but I decided against it as I needed the car and grew out of it, plus installing new stuff can always cause problems. They said I can call them any time about it.

Fast-forward today. A dent in my front bumper and a very noticable scratch from a hit and run in parking lot. The insurance said I will pay the deducatable and they cover the rest without the insurance going up.

Am I cheap if I call back the 1800 number and tell them to cover the cost of the bumper instead? I dont mind paying my deductable (500$) and get a brand new bumper but I feel their service back then was very poor and very frustrating. I still hate that day till now.

Advice?

aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:52 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
They offered you a new top and you didnt take it? Why?
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #3

I'd go for it!

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:30 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
1st off why didn't you take the new top? They might not cover it now even though they said they would awhile back.

2nd, how do you think that they will fix your bumper instead of fixing your top? They are two separate issues and I don't see them letting you pick and choose what they'll fix, especially if they aren't responsible for your bumper.

My advice, have them fix the top and pay the $500 deduc. for the new bumper. The hit and run, was it someone that hit you and took off? If so, man that sucks and I hope they get theirs.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
bmussatti

What parking lot? Do they video surveillance? Maybe the perpetrator is on tape.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:44 AM   #6

Call them and hope to goodness they will still replace your top. Try to get the old top back as well. Ebay it. Use gained money to help pay the deductable for the new bumper.
Autocrosses: 22
Track Days: 1
http://www.crife.net
986 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:49 AM   #7

I had an offer of a new top on my old car once. I fixed the recently installed but top flawed (just a matter of sealing the window with silicone) and sold the brand new top the manufacturer sent me on ebay for $300.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:04 PM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
[QUOTE=aBsOlUt]Well, about 3 months ago I was stupid enough to lock myself out of the car without the spare key nearby. However, I called 1-800-PORSCHE to call for a tow vehicle to unlock the car at the dealership or whatever they do best.

Advice?[/QUOTE

I've read that 800-PORSCHE just subcontracts their tow service to AAA, so don't expect to get real Porsche techs to come to your rescue when you call them. It's just a guy with a tow truck. I think you should've took them up on the offer for the brand new top, and yeah- it's your car, so why not ask them to just pay you the difference for the new bumper and then have it sprayed at the body shop of your choice?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:55 PM   #9
fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBsOlUt

The guy the moment he walks out of his van mentions to me he never has done a Porsche.
Advice?
Right there, I would have said this is not going to happen. I would of put a stop to it immediately. How could you have watched
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBsOlUt
Well, about 3 months ago...

Am I cheap if I call back the 1800 number and tell them to cover the cost of the bumper instead?
Why stop at a bumper? During those 3 months, did you also happen to do a costly addition to your house, go on an African safari, and have your girlfriend break-up with you? If so, I've heard those 1-800-Porsche folks are pretty well versed and have been known to soften financial and emotional blows of any kind. Depending on how frustrated you were by the guy with the tow truck 3 months ago, they may be able to make you whole on more than you expected. Never hurts to try.
Z.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:42 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i still cant believe that they came to 'fix' your car, then messed it up, and offered to fix it for you, and you refused.
you know how messed up these tops are on boxsters, new and old, so taking a new one for free is always a good thing.
im confused.
and i doubt they will fix your bumper instead of your top.

maybe call them and tell them that you dont trust them and that you will take a check and fix the top yourself at a diff shop, take that money, and fix your bumper.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
Why stop at a bumper? During those 3 months, did you also happen to do a costly addition to your house, go on an African safari, and have your girlfriend break-up with you? If so, I've heard those 1-800-Porsche folks are pretty well versed and have been known to soften financial and emotional blows of any kind. Depending on how frustrated you were by the guy with the tow truck 3 months ago, they may be able to make you whole on more than you expected. Never hurts to try.
Z.

LOL!

Guys guys, the damage was not something that I had to replace the whole top for. I mean yeah you are right I could have taken a brand new top and go through the whole process but it was more of psychological frustration and annoyance but their actions.

I will give them a call and see what I can do.

Last edited by aBsOlUt; 04-09-2007 at 07:39 AM.
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:41 AM   #13

Its not cheap...but it's not the brightest of ideas......

you can get your top replaced because you had a reasonable problem...the tow truck guy scratched.

the only way you can get a new bumper is if the tow truck guy scratched it....

why in the world did you not take the new top....you should of set up a date when you were available. you obviously werent much concered with the scratches....

you're out of luck now...not even sure if they will replace the top now!
986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:44 AM   #14

dj now thats a possible plan.....

if you porsche that you are getting it fixed at a shop, and tell the shop owner that in fact you want to fix the bumper....maybe they could swing something your way. this is if porsche lets you get it done at another shop. see if the shop owner will pull the scam......
986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:51 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
im pretty sure they would, couse all the care about is the $.
but then again, once they get paperwork saying Porsche one it....i dunno.

but still, worth a shot if you ask me, but i would have gotten a new top to start with so that wouldnt be a problem

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote