Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #1

Hello from Aus - Anybody with a Boxster for sale locally?

Hi All,

I write from Australia, the land downunder with insanely expensive Boxsters. I've been shopping for one for quite a while now, but have had no joy in finding one I like.

So I put it out there, are there many guys from Aus here, and if so, do you have any advice on where I may find a decent 986? Met one guy on this forum, who had a sensational Boxster for sale. Too bad, I didn't have enough cash at the time. But I've saved my pennies now, so any advice you may have, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Daryl

Daryl80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:52 AM   #2

Daryl,

G'day, and welcome if it hasn't been said already.

It's true that pre-owned Porsches can prove to be a bit hard to come by in Australia given our relatively small population, but they are certainly out there. Of the 4 P-cars I've bought pre-owned, 2 of them took about 12-18 months of searching before I found the right car, whilst the other 2 were literally "right place right time" deals.

You don't mention where you are from, but your best bet is to pop into your local Porsche dealer and introduce yourself to one of the sales people, as they may know of cars that aren't quite on the market yet which may suit, even if they don't have something on the lot. Certainly I've had dealers I've purchased from previously call me up out of the blue to see if I'm interested in trading in a car because they've had a potential buyer walk in the door.

If you're in Sydney, the Alexandria dealership is now owned by Porsche Cars Australia, as is the Melbourne dealership, so you might have more luck with either of those as they'll have access to a wider wholesale network than some of the independants.

With any of the newer P-cars, including the Boxster, I personally consider the warranty you get when purchasing from an official Porsche dealer to be very attractive, which is probably why I'd lean towards a dealership car rather than a private sale. You just never know when something costly might go wrong - indeed our MY02 Boxster S Tiptronic started 'slipping' between gears after only 25,000kms, which ultimately lead to a total of about 10 days workshop time and a brand new Tiptronic gearbox and torque converter shipped out from Germany, at a total cost of about $30K AUS. All of which was covered by Porsche's used car warranty (phew!).

Good luck with the search - perhaps if you give us some idea of what model / year etc you are looking for we can keep an eye out on your behalf?

James
jamesatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:02 AM   #3

Hi James

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm actually located in Melbourne, but hear your thoughts about going to a Porsche dealership. The sheer thought of spending $30k+ on repairs does scare me, so perhaps this is the best option and get the warranty as well. Good to hear that you were covered under warranty when the tiptronic had issues.

I could ask whether this is a common problem, but that could open up a new can of worms. So for the sake of being brief, this is what I'm looking for.

Boxster S
Year 2000 or above (have no issues on being older as long it usually means cheaper)
Am after a black exterior, beige interior.
Manual

I think that should cover it, but thanks again. I've been looking around for a while, so if anybody knows of one available, please let me know.

Thanks again!
Daryl80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl80
Boxster S
Year 2000 or above (have no issues on being older as long it usually means cheaper)
Am after a black exterior, beige interior.
Manual
Daryl,

I'm not sure what your budget allows, but if you're considering spending $90K or so on a later Boxster S, and you're very particular about colour choices, perhaps consider looking at a 987 Boxster as well? On paper the current 987 'regular' Boxster has almost as much power & performance as the earlier Boxster S models, and you're getting a newer car as a bonus.

Drive.com.au for instance has a Black/Beige 987 Boxster manual with less than 10,000kms for the same money as a low mileage 2003/4 986 S. Even better, it's still covered by new car warranty which you can extend at the end of the period, so my comments about buying from a dealer aren't as important with the 987s that are still covered under new warranty.

James

jamesatfish is offline   Reply With Quote