Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 05:38 PM   #1

Debating about litronic

Suncoast is running a sale on their Litronics for $1395... still damn expensive, but still $100 cheaper than its been for a while.

I'm really on the fence about upgrading, and if not, I'll just do a HID H7 replacement for my existing halogens (it'll only cost me about $150 installed because my friend manufactures them out of China.)

Anyway, my main question is the installation process. Is it a truly "plug and play" upgrade? I don't care much for the lights moving up and down, I just want HID projector beams with the orange GONE! When I upgraded my rear lights, all that was required was unplug the old, plug in the new. If the process is THAT simple, I'll be much more inclined to go with the upgrade.

Anyone's input would be helpful. Thanks guys.

aaronrcheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:48 PM   #2

That's one of the better prices I've seen on that Litronics lately. I say go for it.

Yes, if you don't care about the lights adjusting when you turn your brights on, it will be a true plug and play installation.

An aftermarket kit from China is not a good idea.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:05 PM   #3

Hey Jeph, thanks for the input. How did you get those headlights on your boxter? Did you have to do some body work to fit in the newer 996 style headlights on your 986? That looks sweet.

Will the installation of litronics require me to take out the CD changer, amp, carpet lining, spare tire, and drill holes into the body? I've read a number of DIY forums as well as spoken with suncoast themselves and they said that installation would require drilling of some holes to run some wires.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2007, 10:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronrcheng
Hey Jeph, thanks for the input. How did you get those headlights on your boxter? Did you have to do some body work to fit in the newer 996 style headlights on your 986? That looks sweet.

Will the installation of litronics require me to take out the CD changer, amp, carpet lining, spare tire, and drill holes into the body? I've read a number of DIY forums as well as spoken with suncoast themselves and they said that installation would require drilling of some holes to run some wires.

Thanks
The drilling for holes is only for auto leveling feature. Since you don't care about it, no need to do any of those. Just pop out the old headlights using the tool(in your Boxster) and put the new ones in. That's it. Just look at your manual.

I agree with Jeph. Stay away from the crappy ones.
jinijazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:18 AM   #5

Pay the extra money and go with the better product. The HID systems from China are usually questionable to begin with and over time end up failing in one way or another. Most of the time they are not sealed properly either and end up leaking or fogging up the light. I have also heard experiences with burned out wires and so on but can not confirm if that was due to the product or the installation.

-aren
aren040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:20 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
yeah man, if 100 bux will make you think like you got a deal, and down the line stuff goes bad, id feel really bad.
i say get the OEM ones, forget about the 100, if the saving was like 500 or so id take a gamble, but not for a 100.

good luck, and post pics of whatever you get hehe
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:37 AM   #7

$1400?!!

OUCH!!

I picked up my set on the Brandwine Group Buy with Porsche Pete's Boxster Board for $1100 barely two years ago.

Really I think its one of the less bang for the bucks mods I have ever done to any car. I don't really se a HUGE difference between the halogens. If you drive in rural areas a great deal I could see it helping but in urban and suburban well lit areas its no difference.

Spend the money on Carrera Replica wheels or a GT3 front bumper and skirting.
Those will make a big difference in the looks of your car, which is all Litronics are really--cosmetic.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:53 AM   #8

I kinda agree with some sentiment... $100 ain't a lot of savings on 'em... They are nice to have (luckily they were one of the options my preowned Boxster came with). They're really not that much brighter than the H7 lights. The autolevelling thing is neat, but not necessary.

If you could find a used set on Ebay, or at a dismantler for significantly less, I'd say go for it... otherwise, just stick with your H7 setup.

I HAVE seen decent results with HID kits, but be wary, make sure you can obtain spare parts or extras if you need it, and keep your old bulbs around in case you need to revert back to stock.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:20 AM   #9

I would not buy anything in the lighting and electronics category used from Ebay.
Neither would I pay anything near the new Brand New retail price.
if they stop working after two months you have no recourse and they aren't really repairable.

Check Rennlist or Porsche Pete's for another group buy.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:15 AM   #10

Thanks guys... great input. You've persuaded me to stay away from an H7 HID modification int the halogen housing.

I think I might consider doing a body kit install. The GT3 is nice, but the GT2 front bumper is sooo much sweeter.

I've seen a few pictures of people who have put on a GT2 bumper, does that requires alot of modification to the body?

Any recommendations for where to pick up either and the approximate cost of the bumper and the installation?

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2007, 11:51 AM   #11

the GT2 is aftermarket fiberglass. The GT3 is factory polyurethane.
lots of cons in going with fiberglass like how much your body shop is going to charge you to shape it so it will fit properly. And fiberglass for Porsche stuff is horribly over priced given its fragility and low cost to make.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronrcheng
My headlight story can be found in this post:
http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8716

And don't let Perfectlap's* negative experience with the Litronics scare you away. Before I had my Carrera lights installed, I had the regular Boxster Litronics. They do make a big difference and I can't help but to think his aren't properly aligned/calibrated.

(*No offense to Perfectlap, we just don't agree on Litronics and Sideskirts)

2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote