Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #1

Don't make the same mistake...

So there I was...just got back from defending freedom and I jumped in the Box for a little quality time. It is a beautiful 70 degrees in Hell Paso and I go to put the top down. As I am disengaging the top my phone rings which I answer promptly because I am waiting for Ed McMahon to tell me the good news. I get distracted and didn't realize I disengaged the top, but I didn't make sure the hook was clear of the holding thing (technical term). Any hooters, I hit the switch and the top tried to retract and snap! I broke the convert top wires...needless to say I had to take it in and it is going to be about 2 weeks to get the cables and install them. The good news is that I was able to get a courtesy car (Audi A3) and will be able to keep that until it is fixed. I am really impressed with the Audi...I am able to put the seats down and put my mountain bike in the back, the 2.0T feels just as fast as the Box and the comfort level is pretty high. However, the handling is not the same. I like to call it the 100mph test...the Box at 100mph is loud, solid and poised, but you definately know you are doing 100mph. The Audi is quiet, solid and poised and you have no idea you are doing 100mph. In the end you have to ask yourself...do I want a bruiser or an autobahn cruiser? I love the Box, but Audi is starting to creep in a little bit...this is the second Audi I have driven besides a 4.2 A6. I wish I had a 6 car garage and a 6 car paycheck.

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
bmussatti

Hey Rail, I miss your humor. You have been away too long defending our freedoms.

Will the warranty cover the repair??
Old 04-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
so wait, you unlatched it, but the hook didnt clear the place where it latches into, is that correct?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
so wait, you unlatched it, but the hook didnt clear the place where it latches into, is that correct?
+1? mine wont go back unless I have the handle in the fully unlatched position.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:57 PM   #5

Gents, that is correct. The latch didn't clear the latching thing. I thought it should be disabled, but nope. That sucker tried to open and wham. Bmus, yes I think the warranty is going to cover it. I did not tell them it was my fault. Thanks for compliment...out of curiosity I added up the time I have been deployed...over the last 4 years I have been gone 2.5 years. This is getting really old.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 04-01-2007, 08:18 PM   #6

Rail,

Glad to see you home safe and sound once again !

Excuse my ignorance but I'm still confused

Did the latch catch when you were opening the top and the resistance caused the wires to snap ?

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:37 PM   #7

Hey, Rail! glad you're back home safe

It is true indeed about the Audi..when the dealer have the Boxster for a week and half (long story and warranty work), they gave me a loaner. It's an S3 2.0T w/ 12 miles on it and that thing could fly, that's why I got rid of my Matrix the following day I returned the S3..got me a C230K instead...I was actually looking at used S4 but all I find is high mileage
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:03 PM   #8

Thanks for serving the country...

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:00 AM   #9

Sorry to hear about your car, but at least it is being taken care of. Also the A3 is very nice but I would be very hesitant in picking one up. I have had my share of experiences with the VAG cars and I have reached the conclusion that I can never pick one up. They are unreliable to begin with but beyond that their customer service is the pits. They never want to warranty any work what so ever (surprisingly neither did Subaru when I had my WRX) even though it is blatantly obvious that the car is/was stock and that it was not owner fault.

On the other had I have been in twice with the Porsche and both times I got treated like a star. That is with just a Base Boxster. My buddy with his S4 got treated like crap by Audi. Both cars are comparable in price.

Also, unklekraker, you keep saying S3. Did they really give you the S3 or a A3 S-Line? There is a big difference between the two. As far as I know the S3 has never been imported to the US.
aren040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aren040

Also, unklekraker, you keep saying S3. Did they really give you the S3 or a A3 S-Line? There is a big difference between the two. As far as I know the S3 has never been imported to the US.
ooppss! its an A3 S-line...I remember now, it has the S-line @ the front grill and by the door...I'll post the pix later!
tnx ren for correcting it
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:26 AM   #11

No problem. I was just hoping that it was an S3 so I can run to the dealership and see if I can pick one up. I always wanted the S3 but they never bring it. Although I can see why since the S3 is a 3 door hatch. It would be like an even more expensive GTI.

-aren
aren040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:27 PM   #12

Quote:
I was just hoping that it was an S3 so I can run to the dealership and see if I can pick one up. I always wanted the S3 but they never bring it.
Here- Here! First time I saw an S3 (in a magazine) I was hooked, only to discover it's not available in NA.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:36 PM   #13

Nick Cats,

Correct-a-mundo. That is precisely what happened. I just talked to the service department today and they said all the work would be covered under warranty. I asked them what the price would have been if not under warranty...1200 clams! After I awoke from passing out, I made a mental note to never do that again.

As for A3, I really like the car just for the fact that is seems very fast, stable and can load the moutain bike and ski gear. Lola has 20K more miles before her warranty is up so I will either be looking at a new Box or something else...the Audi A5 looks pretty sweet. However, my closest Porsche dealer is 350 miles away...that sucks. Who knows what the future holds...I leave the Army in a 1.5 years so I might be driving a unicycle because I can't afford the second wheel.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 04-02-2007, 05:52 PM   #14

Thanks for defending our freedoms!!!! Welcome home!!
porschegeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:53 PM   #15

good to see you are back home enjoying "normal" life. I'm stuck out here in UAE for another month. Weather should be great for some top down driving when I get home. Would have to say that after 2.5 years of tax free, you should be able to pay off the Boxster by now! I just used all of mine to pay off my Audi A4.

Speaking of the Audi/Porsche bebate, (since I currently have both), I take both cars to the same Audi/VW/Porsche mega dealership for servicing. And it is funny how much better the Porsche side of the house treats me. I think the Porsche side gets the fact that you have bought into the experience of owning the car and being part of the brand. Audi it seems has turned into another car giant that is just pushing you through as fast as possible to make a buck. You get the same level of service from Chevy. However, I still love my Audi, and will probably replace my 04 A4 with the up and coming 08 A4 or the 08 A5
Jonesy08054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:00 AM   #16

Quote:
. I have had my share of experiences with the VAG cars and I have reached the conclusion that I can never pick one up. They are unreliable to begin with but beyond that their customer service is the pits. They never want to warranty any work what so ever.
You are so correct about Audi, I had an S4 and the dealer treated me like crap, the car always has an issue, I loved the thing, It was a blast but there was always something wrong with it, No I may have been able to live with the high maintenance if the dealers did not suck beyond words!
Maybe I will buy a nice used out of warranty one someday that I can service at my mechanic.

Interestingly, the VW section of the same dealer treats me great with my Wifes car... go figure.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:47 AM   #17

My wife's company car is an A6 Quattro twin turbo S-Line. It is a blast to drive... and so far it's been trouble-free. Great car.

Now they're trying to give her a Lexus LS430. We'd both rather have the A6, but she has to take what they're giving. At least it'll be comfortable, but it's just not sporty. Kind of like driving a big, overstuffed sofa around.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:28 AM   #18

Jack – I want to work at your wife's company – Audi and Lexus as a company car ?

Rail, thanks, Fonz !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:54 PM   #19

Thanks for your time/life in the Freedom Fight!

Sorry about the top failure - good to have a 'heads up' on that one.
So...how does the Audi compare to the Apache ??

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!
Sboxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:55 PM   #20

Sboxin, The Apache IS the Porsche of the helicopter world. Imagine driving a Porsche with no lights on, at 130 mph, below 50 feet and killing things. I really miss flying it...and killing things.

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk