Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #1

Gettin the black back?

What's a good product/method to use to 'get the black back' on trim parts such as the rear bumperettes and the plastic trim at the bottom of the windscreen?

I haven't cleaned the trim under the windscreen yet, but I'm betting some ArmorAll or Meguires vinyl/plastic cleaner will help...

.. but does anyone have a line on any products or methods good for 'getting the black back' out of faded plastic peices?

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:07 PM   #2

Most people just re-paint them flat black. They new new again after that and you can still shine them with product if you want afterwards.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:17 PM   #3

I apply Sonus tire & bumper dressing gel every few waxes. Only takes a few minutes and works pretty well. http://autopia-carcare.com/son-730-8.html
Old 03-15-2007, 02:22 PM   #4

Hi,

Black Again used to be the product for refreshing black vinyl trim. It was the best thing out there. Then, the Co. closed it's doors and the availability slowly dried up.

But, another Co. has just starting making it again based on the original formula. I haven't tried the new stuff yet, but if it's half as good as the old formulation, it's still the best around. See it at: http://hawg-wash.com/blackagain1.html Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
bmussatti

Fray, have you thought about getting your bumperettes painted to match the body?
Old 03-15-2007, 03:44 PM   #6

Mequiars Trim Detailer is fantastic, in my opinion. It works great on bumperettes and the black plastic trim where the side mirrors are mounted, the plastic between the windows and the conv. top and the trim piece between the hood and the windshield.

The Meguiars rep at the last West Coast Boxsterfest turned me on to this product!

BoxsterBob - CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:08 PM   #7

I have used Mother's Back To Black for years, it last for months. Last year when I bought my F250 I found out about a product called Just Once made by Triple RRR Enterprises. I put it on when I got the truck and have not had to add any more. It sits outside all the time.

Stay away from ArmorAll turns tires brown and plastic parts white.

2000 986
1979 911SC coupe
Raybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:13 PM   #8

I have used Forever Black with good results. It does more than just shine the trim like an Armorall. It is more like repainting them, more long term coverage.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:36 PM   #9

I've been avoiding ArmorAll for a while... I'd read that it dries out plastic and vinyl... it might look good, but it's not the best thing. I got a bottle of Meguire's vinyl and plastic cleaner that I've used on most of my interior. I think the Pep Boys around here carries a lot of Mother's stuff, so I might look for something there this weekend. Saturday is looking like it will be nice, so I think I'll wash and wax the car, and try to clean up the plastic stuff.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:55 AM   #10

Yes

Maguires Gel, works nicely.
BobMarley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raybox
Mother's Back To Black
I once saw a movie with this title.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #12
bmussatti

Vinylex is a great product!
Old 03-31-2015, 11:14 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder View Post
Most people just re-paint them flat black. They new new again after that and you can still shine them with product if you want afterwards.
Has anyone painted the plastic trim at the bottom of the windscreen either the same colour as the car or flat black?
I have seen this Mothers Back to Black restorer mentioned a couple of times. I haven't looked to see if it available here in the UK yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooster View Post
I have good success using a Mothers product Back to Black for restoring my fading wiper cowling and other trim bits to a dark black.
Mine is really faded and every time i use any restorer on it, it never lasts very long.

Has anyone painted theirs and does anyone have any pictures?
M4SGK1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:27 AM   #14

old thread bump of the day!! Try plasti dip. There are some YouTube videos of this on window trim. Great thing is that if you over spray...peels right off.

Right now I'm using Griot's Garage on tires and bumperretes. Comes in an old school aerosol can so you only need a little bit and just spread around with a blue shop towel. After a few hours it goes matte'ish.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:37 AM   #15

I've found that once the plastic bits are damaged and you use one of the various remedies that they are at best temporary in nature. The best is to protect from the start. Keeping the car out of the elements, especially direct sun exposure, as much as possible is important. In addition using a product that has some sort of UV protectorant helps. I've personally had good results using the appropriate 303 Aerospace Protectorant.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4SGK1986 View Post
Has anyone painted the plastic trim at the bottom of the windscreen either the same colour as the car or flat black?
I have seen this Mothers Back to Black restorer mentioned a couple of times. I haven't looked to see if it available here in the UK yet.

Mine is really faded and every time i use any restorer on it, it never lasts very long.

Has anyone painted theirs and does anyone have any pictures?
Curouis too. I've figured that if it starts to look bad I'd replace it. It's by far the largest area of black plastic but fortunately it's easy to remove.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:41 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
old thread bump of the day!! Try plasti dip. There are some YouTube videos of this on window trim. Great thing is that if you over spray...peels right off.

Right now I'm using Griot's Garage on tires and bumperretes. Comes in an old school aerosol can so you only need a little bit and just spread around with a blue shop towel. After a few hours it goes matte'ish.
Oh yes, the power of the search tool!! 11

I never thought about the plasti dip, come to think of it my mate had got an aerosol of a plasti dip kinda stuff, when he got bored of the matt black he just peeled it off. I'll see if he has it and i'll post what it is.:dance:

Thanks Perfectlap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Curouis too. I've figured that if it starts to look bad I'd replace it. It's by far the largest area of black plastic but fortunately it's easy to remove.
I'll post some pics when i do it, might try and get round to it this weekend

Last edited by M4SGK1986; 03-31-2015 at 11:44 AM.
M4SGK1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:43 PM   #18

303 protectant on everthing
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:52 PM   #19

Garage
I have a mixture of 50% boiled linseed oil and 50% paint thinner. As fair warning - burn the rags - this mixture is volatile. It seems to work real well. I have used it for years on plastic trim from the fender flares on Jeep to the plastic body panels on the a Honda Element.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #20

Garage
Had my boxster detailed last week here in the uk and applied Autobrite Abbyss .....worked wonders on the greying windscreen trim............!!!!

SKOOSH1970 is offline   Reply With Quote