Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2021, 03:37 PM   #1

Garage
Looking for a black hood

Long shot but I'll ask, Anyone out there have a black hood with good paint available? A racer that doesn't need a perfect hood? My hood has done something I have never seen before. The paint has cracked over the entire hood. It looks like it was waxed by Edward Scissorhands. It started in the driver's corner but just exploded. There are cracks from 1/4" to 1.5" long everywhere. TIA.

911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Long shot but I'll ask, Anyone out there have a black hood with good paint available? A racer that doesn't need a perfect hood? My hood has done something I have never seen before. The paint has cracked over the entire hood. It looks like it was waxed by Edward Scissorhands. It started in the driver's corner but just exploded. There are cracks from 1/4" to 1.5" long everywhere. TIA.
I have a black hood, but it's not in perfect condition. A couple minor dings. Can send you pictures tonight if interested
rezanourai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:29 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezanourai View Post
I have a black hood, but it's not in perfect condition. A couple minor dings. Can send you pictures tonight if interested
Please send pics! Thanks
Old 02-10-2021, 09:12 PM   #4

Garage
Pics of cracks for entertainment.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Pics of cracks for entertainment.

If I had to guess, someone repainted it and didn't let the primer fully cure before spraying the paint over it
Old 06-23-2021, 01:30 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
If I had to guess, someone repainted it and didn't let the primer fully cure before spraying the paint over it
Good Guess! There has never been any accident damage reported or identified in the PPI, but in some recesses I could find what looked like wet sanding residue and some clear coat flaking edge along top edge of passenger door. So I finally took to a paint shop to see what they thought. Turns out too much love can be a bad thing. The original home of this car was Malibu. Apparently the original owner decided to have additional clear sprayed over the car to protect the black paint. The paint shop suspects it had more than 4 coats of clear. According to them this is too thick and is now shrinking and cracking on the horizontal surface of the hood from 100 deg days and sun. Still gets noticed occasionally.

Old 06-23-2021, 04:47 PM   #7

Not to steal the thread but I have a similar issue with the peeling clear coat along the window trim on both doors. Body shop said the car has original paint. Just one of those things... Something to fix in the future.

Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote