Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #1

Looking: Bolt in roll cage, bar or harness bar

Looking for options for this coming track season...just found out the safety devices kit is backordered for months. Interested in any solution that includes a harness bar

Thanks

1thenaton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Is this the one that is back ordered?
Roll Cage Kit, Boxster 97 - 04-Stable Energies
Old 02-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #3

^ yes, that's the kit I've been eyeing. I spoke with Stable Energies and they said that they have none in stock and would need to order a huge batch from the manufacturer to make it worth their while. Looking for other options at this point
Old 02-13-2018, 04:06 AM   #4

A roll bar in a Boxster is a real uphill battle with the factory top. The problem is (or at least one of them) is that the top bolts to the factory roll bar, the stable engineering bar has brackets to accept the top (which you can se in the photo below). I had a shop make me a roll bar and just didn’t bolt the top back in. Not ideal but the top actually locks in place with the clamshell and front lock. Your top has to be converted to a manual top for this, one bonus is that the top can easily be pulled out entirely for track events. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #5

Yea, one of the reasons ive been looking to run the safety devices bolt in cage is to retain the convertible top for the time being. Full custom cage seems like overkill for a car that is for now being run in DE events and autox only.

One bit of hope - stable energies says they may be fabricating a harness bar for use with the brey-krause extension but no guarantee on availability yet. Having gotten seats installed for last season I expect to be running harnesses this year, we'll see how to make it work.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #6

Why do you need a harness bar? The stock rollbar has a well located crossbar that serves fine as a harness mounting location. Add the bk extension and youre fine for a de/autox/street car
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:51 PM   #7

Was told the stock rollbar held harnesses at an angle that was no good. Do you run harnesses on your stock bar?

Any other opinions on this?

addit: pic of the stock bar

Last edited by 1thenaton1; 02-14-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #8

Looks as if that crossbar is a good bit above the harness slots

please excuse the awful red bar, previous owner did it, thought it was coming out. it'll be updated for this yr
Old 02-14-2018, 04:08 AM   #9

I run harnesses on the stock bar with the GT3 euro seats. The harness angles are perfectly fine. I can't speak to different seats and mounting type (mine are on the oem sliders), but I'd imagine it would be close enough to be within the safe margin
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
I run harnesses on the stock bar with the GT3 euro seats. The harness angles are perfectly fine. I can't speak to different seats and mounting type (mine are on the oem sliders), but I'd imagine it would be close enough to be within the safe margin
I did this as well. Couldn’t have worked better.
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:25 AM   #11

Garage
Reusing this rather old thread..

I have been looking into racing seats & harness.. And as some say (eg the shops I have been talking to), it´s not recommended to run helmet & harness with only the stock roll bar, at least in my case when I´m a bit on the tall side.. My goal is to use racing seats with stock belts on the street, harness on track. Also I want to get at least a reasonable protection in the case of a roll over, so I really would not mind a bolt in cage that can be fitted when going to track.

How do you other guys do,

1) Harness with stock roll bar
2) Harness with stock bar & extension (like Brey Krause)
3) Bolt in cage

And, yes I have been searching the forum but cannot get a clear understanding..

Last edited by Robert986; 11-11-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #12

I ran this season with the upgraded seats and 5 point harnesses attached to a harness bar provided by Stable Energies for about 200 bucks. Also allows you to retain stock belts for street and simply tuck the harness behind the seat for street use if desired.

Seats and harnesses are a huge upgrade, definitely consider this upgrade if you'll be tracking the car
Old 01-06-2019, 03:25 PM   #13

bump, would still love to find one of the safety devices cages