Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2018, 05:31 AM   #1

Garage
WTB: 1997 Base Rear Driver's Wheel Bearing

I'm looking for a wheel bearing replacement for my 97 Boxster. So far, I haven't found anything online that would indicate any easy replacement, so if anyone has a better solution than going to the dealership and paying the quoted $1275 for a replacement, please let me know.

cornontherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:45 AM   #2

You can get the bearings for $50 on rock_auto_dot_com.

The pullers are expensive, but there are some alternatives on this thread: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/71770-sir-b90-wheel-bearing-tool.html

DIY guide: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/40-TRANS-Wheel_Bearings/40-TRANS-Wheel_Bearings.htm
Old 04-19-2018, 07:13 AM   #3

Not sure how the boxster s assemble is, but I’ve bought entire steering knuckles and replaced them like that before. It’s a gamble but I’ve gotten 50,000km out of a wheel bearing from a wrecked car before I got rid of my car. Worth a look if if you’re looking for quick and easy.
986bsdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:26 AM   #4

Garage
I just did a complete suspension rebuild on my 99. No way would I pay that for 1 bearing. I replaced all 4 wheel bearings with FAQ units. About 150 bucks for the four. Bought HiTemp synthetic grease from summit auto and cleaned the new bearings and repacked with the hi temp stuff. Used the HB tool cost about 100 bucks and replaced all 4. Its not a fun job but at 1275 I would consider it.