Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2017, 07:18 PM   #1

Garage
WTB: Dansk "hot dog" muffler

Hi all;

I am looking to buy a Dansk "hot dog" muffler for my 986 3.4 swap project. For reference, they look like this:

Thanks in advance!

-Marc

Attached Images

mjannone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:06 AM   #2

I had one of those on my 3.4 boxster and was dissatisfied with it. The sound wasn't that much more aggressive than the factory muffler, only 3lbs lighter and the internal tubes were small like the factory. I ended up building an exhaust system for my boxster that was the same diameter as the 996 system.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:45 PM   #3

Years ago on PPBB board there were talks of loss of power after a dyno run with this muffler.
djw8282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:33 AM   #4

I had one of those on " the beast " and the dyno said too restrictive . It is nicely built but too heavy in my opinion . It was not an " upgrade " on my car .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:01 AM   #5

I am currently running one of these Dansk hot dogs, and I really do like it.

I also ran, as an experiment, another muffler style which seems similar to those eBay cheap systems which everyone claims drone badly (but not for me - more later on this).

I weighed each carefully before installation.

The OEM stock muffler weighs 34 pounds.
The Dansk muffler weight 29 pounds.
The "Drone Clone" that I used weighed 20 pounds.

To my taste, the OEM muffler is just too heavy and seems the most flow restrictive. See picture that someone else has created, showing the back-and-forth exhaust gas paths.

I was surprised that the Dansk was not lighter than it turned out to be. But it is definitely much more compact in size, and that's a big positive for me.

Obviously, the "D.C." system weighed the least and seems like the least restrictive to flow.

The "Rest Of The Story" is that as a trial I currently have no cats whatsoever on my car, so the muffler serves as the only flow restriction from the engine to the atmosphere. And for this situation, I find the Dansk best suits my personal taste as being neither too loud nor not too quiet.

The "D.C." system, acting alone as noted, is a bit too loud for my preference. But it would probably be just about right for an otherwise stock car with all four (4) cats intact and working. I cannot speak to the "Drone" aspects of this one with cats, but for a straight thru system such as I have am currently running, I did not note any such concerns.

So, each to their own personal taste here.

Hope this helps - DM

Last edited by Dave80GTSi; 01-19-2018 at 06:03 AM.
Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #6

Garage
[QUOTE=Dave80GT

Obviously, the "D.C." system weighed the least and seems like the least restrictive to flow.

The "Rest Of The Story" is that as a trial I currently have no cats whatsoever on my car, so the muffler serves as the only flow restriction from the engine to the atmosphere. And for this situation, I find the Dansk best suits my personal taste as being neither too loud nor not too quiet.

The "D.C." system, acting alone as noted, is a bit too loud for my preference. But it would probably be just about right for an otherwise stock car with all four (4) cats intact and working. I cannot speak to the "Drone" aspects of this one with cats, but for a straight thru system such as I have am currently running, I did not note any such concerns.

So, each to their own personal taste here.

Hope this helps - DM

Are you ok with the loss of low rpm torque ?
Old 01-19-2018, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post

Are you ok with the loss of low rpm torque ?
Extensively swapping back-and-forth between the various mufflers, I have not subjectively felt any performance variations one way or another with any of these three (3) mufflers as the only change.

What did make a huge difference, though, was the deletion of the four (4) cats. The engine now revs quicker, sounds better, runs significantly cooler, and has notably gained gas mileage with this change.

For example, see Post 49 in this thread for more info on our secondary cats: http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/30146-fabspeed-bypass-pipe-any-experiences-welcomed-3.html

These cat changes are much more significant for me than any muffler swapping, so I’ve simply settled upon the muffler that I think sounds the best.

Plus, the Dansk sounds "rorty". See 36 minutes into it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Rj9Gsz-RQ

Last edited by Dave80GTSi; 01-19-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote