Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2017, 11:18 AM   #1

WTB hardtop in ****************ty condition/cracked/broken

Looking for a hardtop to go on my low bucks racecar...if you have something you are embarrassed to say you own, let me know and I will see if it will work for me.

titaniumdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:15 PM   #2

Bump for a junky hard top
Old 03-07-2018, 07:09 PM   #3

Still looking for that embarrassingly bad hard top...
Old 03-08-2018, 02:38 AM   #4

A new fiberglass one is only $450 or are you looking for a factory aluminum one? Shipping might be expensive though
Old 03-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
A new fiberglass one is only $450 or are you looking for a factory aluminum one? Shipping might be expensive though
Link please...
Old 03-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #6

This is the top myself and several other use on our Spec Car builds. Great quality.
Make sure you order the rear plexi window. It's easier than trying to fab one yourself.

Boxster racing parts
Old 03-08-2018, 10:25 AM   #7

I emailed them awhile back and they were no longer selling them. Maybe they are again. I just bought one through GT Racing, looks great I’m impressed
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
This is the top myself and several other use on our Spec Car builds. Great quality.
Make sure you order the rear plexi window. It's easier than trying to fab one yourself.

Boxster racing parts
Just got off the phone with Kent, they are still making the tops just no stock. I'm getting production timelines now and will report back. Thanks for the lead!
Old 03-08-2018, 11:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumdave View Post
Just got off the phone with Kent, they are still making the tops just no stock. I'm getting production timelines now and will report back. Thanks for the lead!
Happy to help. Kent is a good guy to deal with and the quality of my top is great!
Old 03-08-2018, 04:53 PM   #10

I've heard nothing but good things about Kent and his boxster tops. I bought a boxster from him a few years back and he really is a cool guy.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:48 PM   #11

Kent has been great to work with, found a couple of blem hard tops that will be perfect for my project! I bought a spare since shipping/crating is the same for 1 or 2 hardtops. Thanks for the tip on getting the windows with the tops.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:21 PM   #12
inveniam viam aut faciam

Just an observation on using a factory hardtop on a racecar. While using a factory hardtop may sound like a good starting point, in reality using these fiberglass hardtops end up being a much better option. Why? Well, there are a few good reasons. For example, if you have a cage in the car, you can't use the original hardtop mounts, so you will need to fabricate brackets to work with the aluminum factory hardtop. Then there is the issue of needing to strip everything out of the hardtop and cut up what is left of the aluminum bracing to get it to fit even close to as tight as a fiberglass skin hardtop. There is also the issue of the glass, which isn't very convenient on something you will want to be able to remove quite often.

I know a local shop tried to use a factory hardtop at a customer's request. In the end, none the original "advantages" of using a factory hardtop could be realized and the idea was scrapped, along with the poor factory hardtop, and a fiberglass top was fit. So, they would have been better off selling the top, and using that money for a couple of the fiberglass tops.

I think the ideal fiberglass top would incorporate the clam shell and look like the original with a lip like the clamshell that fits around the well that clam shell goes down into. If that makes sense... I know there is one offered that is kind of like that, but with a different profile making it look a bit odd. YMMV