Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2016, 08:05 AM   #21
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Keep your weight savings and fix-a-flat. Give me a spare any day. I also roll with 2-3 lbs of air compressor weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:19 AM   #22

Garage
This discussion made me realize that on my '03 986S (which has been mine since '04) I have never checked the pressure in my spare. I've had 3 sets of replacement tires, but just forgot about the spare. On my list for this weekend!

Carlos
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:13 AM   #23

That's a great idea to check your spare air pressure. I have a few of those that you can tell were low on air pressure when used. Some of them almost look like they were driven with no air in them at all and the side walls have marks from the rim wearing away on them.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #24

Garage
Thanks for starting this thread Marty97....I have a road trip coming up and just checked the spare. It was down to 36psi but back up to 60psi now thanks to this discussion.
I've only had to use it once but it saved my @sh in the middle of nowhere. Driver's front hit something and took out the sidewall, fix-a-flat wouldn't have helped.
Since then it's comforting to know I have options.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:53 PM   #25

The other thing to remember about these mini spare tires/rims is that Porsche designed the Boxster to keep the passengers safe in a front end collision by placing that spare tire where it sits.

I take mine out for track use to lighten the car, but it goes right back in afterwards when I'm out on public streets, even though it won't hold air. It might just be the only thing protecting me from crushed legs.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #26

Randy I'd be much more worry to get my fingers clipped between my teeth and the steering wheel. If it ever goes that deep anyway loll

Never realized you had to check the air level in these tires. funny, 20 years later. And I won't check... lucky like I am I'll have a flat next week if I do

(touching wood now I tell ya)
Old 07-28-2016, 03:18 PM   #27

Here is one on Ebay for $95 with free shipping.

For Sale One Used 17" Spare Tire for Porsche Boxster 05 12 | eBay
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:23 AM   #28

Thanks everyone! Will check on that e-bay tire and follow up with woody...

steved0x.... cool setup!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I always bring 4 spare tires just in case. And tools and a jack.

Marty97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:46 PM   #29

Just used my spare tire for the first time. Had to air it up to 60psi, *and* retrieve the security lug bolt adapter from garage at home. (Luckily only 3 miles away from where parked when I noticed one of the rear wheels had lost all air pressure). As a side note, the standard Porsche super-lightweight tire changing jack worked great!

The spare is not really great to drive on, but did get the job done for the <15 mile trip to get the leaking full-size tire fixed.

I also discovered through this that not even one of the optional, super-wide 18" rear Porsche tires could even fit in the rear *or* the front trunk even with nothing else being in them - therefore, carrying the full size rear tire in the passenger seat was necessary! (Good thing Porsche included a tire bag in the tool kit to help keep the leather interior clean.)

In summary, while checking the spare tire air pressure, don't forget to also check for the security lug bolt bit if your car has those! And if you happen to have a passenger with you while encountering a problem with an optional wide rear tire, you might not be able to take everything with after mounting the space-saver spare tire.

Last edited by jakeru; 08-02-2016 at 10:52 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote