Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #1
2007 Cayman S

Stereo Upgrade

Hi guys - I am a new owner of my first Boxster - a 2002. I know that this subject has been discussed many times, but I can't seem to find a definitive outline of what I need to know, so I hope that you don't mind another go at this. I have a 2002 Boxster, which came with just dash speakers. The PO put in a nice new Alpine unit, but did nothing to upgrade the speakers. So, I have no door speakers and no rear speakers. Pretty feeble sound.

Questions:
Can speakers be installed in my existing door panels - can you cut a hole?
If not, do I need to buy speaker ready door panels?
Is wiring already in the door panel if I install a speaker in there?
Do speakers in the door panels necessitate that an amp be installed in the front storage area? Is that how they are powered?
I have a rear storage unit behind the seats. I know that at one time Porsche offered a rear speaker kit. I understand that Porsche does not offer that any longer. So, any suggestions on what to install in the cubby-hole area? Is wiring already available to hook up rear speakers to?

I am not looking to to spend fortune - I just wants some tunes that I can hear! Really appreciate your help.

David Preston
Michigan

por356c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by por356c View Post
Hi guys - I am a new owner of my first Boxster - a 2002. I know that this subject has been discussed many times, but I can't seem to find a definitive outline of what I need to know, so I hope that you don't mind another go at this. I have a 2002 Boxster, which came with just dash speakers. The PO put in a nice new Alpine unit, but did nothing to upgrade the speakers. So, I have no door speakers and no rear speakers. Pretty feeble sound.

Questions:
Can speakers be installed in my existing door panels - can you cut a hole?
If not, do I need to buy speaker ready door panels?
Is wiring already in the door panel if I install a speaker in there?
Do speakers in the door panels necessitate that an amp be installed in the front storage area? Is that how they are powered?
I have a rear storage unit behind the seats. I know that at one time Porsche offered a rear speaker kit. I understand that Porsche does not offer that any longer. So, any suggestions on what to install in the cubby-hole area? Is wiring already available to hook up rear speakers to?

I am not looking to to spend fortune - I just wants some tunes that I can hear! Really appreciate your help.

David Preston
Michigan
(some) Answers:
Yes, and yes.
No.
No.
Don't know for sure. I have the CDR-220 and factory amp and haven't looked at the back of my radio, but an amp will probably be required. You'll need to identify what radio you have for help, and be certain that you have the radio code before you do any battery disconnecting.
Check Pelican Parts, Suncoast Porsche, ebay for rear speaker kits - there is an aftermarket kit available.
Search the Boxster forums as there are an untold number of posts on door and rear speaker kits and designs (homemade) for door and speaker supports, many with photos of the process(es). There are so many that you might consider bookmarking them when you find them for reference in case you want to ever find the same one again. And lastly, yes. Maybe Suncoast, don't remember where I've seen the wiring harness for the rears.
Mine came with all that stuff, but my 15 year old speakers cratered so all eight have been recently replaced.
Projects 88 and 89 in the 101 Projects book has instructions on parts of this as well.
Good luck.
Fairly certain this is accurate. Absolutely sure that if there is a mistake we'll both know.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
On the slippery slope

Garage
Change out the dash speakers to better ones, lots of DIYs here
add the rear speakers. Kits on ebay ~ $300
don't worry about door speakers or an amp
will it be super high fidelity, no, but will sound decent even with the top down

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote