Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #1

Garage
Question Internal litronics parts needed?

Ok, so I am bummed at the moment. I ordered a new set of Bosch Xenon headlamps to de-amber and upgrade my car. I found a great deal on what is a new set with warranty on e-bay for 1375. but when they came in it appears that the internal light mounts in the housing are broken and the lights are loose and move around. These were the last set of new old stock so all I can do is hope to get my $$ back unless I can fix them.

Does any body know if internal parts are available and how to remount the reflector lights in the housing....is is even possible?

Old 10-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #2

There is a thread on renntech.org about polishing the lenses on the Litronic projector for a 996 that has a description of taking a litronic light apart from the back. maybe it has the info that you need to proceed? (I can't give a link right now because I am having trouble with Comcast). I think it is in the tutorial section for 996.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
There is a thread on renntech.org about polishing the lenses on the Litronic projector for a 996 that has a description of taking a litronic light apart from the back. maybe it has the info that you need to proceed? (I can't give a link right now because I am having trouble with Comcast). I think it is in the tutorial section for 996.

Steve
Thanks, I'll see if I can find it. I have not been able to find internal parts availablity any place but maybe something is just loose
Old 10-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #4

It's probably not broken, just not assembled. I bought a set of those Bosch headlamps too, but in halogen, not Xenon. Got a great deal, just like you.

I put them in and they were aimed almost straight down. I took them in to the dealership to have them aimed. The tech took the car in and a few minutes later he comes out and says "Where did you get those headlights?" Never a good sign. He tells me that the guts have just been dumped into both headlights and nothing is attached. I was up front and I told him about buying them online and how much they cost.

Now here's where they showed what kind of a dealership they are. They could have easily sent me packing saying that it was my problem because I didn't buy them there. Instead, the tech grabbed his long-nose pliers and spent the next hour assembling the guts of the headlight through the opening in the back. It looked just like building a ship in a bottle. He got them both assembled, back in the car, and aimed. The car was in the shop nearly two hours, but they just charged an hour labor, less my PCA discount.

Dealerships often get a bad rap, but the one we have here in Winnipeg is excellent. For some reason the forum won't let me type their name, but if you lived in Germany it would be what you called the house you keep autos in.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
It's probably not broken, just not assembled. I bought a set of those Bosch headlamps too, but in halogen, not Xenon. Got a great deal, just like you.

I put them in and they were aimed almost straight down. I took them in to the dealership to have them aimed. The tech took the car in and a few minutes later he comes out and says "Where did you get those headlights?" Never a good sign. He tells me that the guts have just been dumped into both headlights and nothing is attached. I was up front and I told him about buying them online and how much they cost.

Now here's where they showed what kind of a dealership they are. They could have easily sent me packing saying that it was my problem because I didn't buy them there. Instead, the tech grabbed his long-nose pliers and spent the next hour assembling the guts of the headlight through the opening in the back. It looked just like building a ship in a bottle. He got them both assembled, back in the car, and aimed. The car was in the shop nearly two hours, but they just charged an hour labor, less my PCA discount.

Dealerships often get a bad rap, but the one we have here in Winnipeg is excellent. For some reason the forum won't let me type their name, but if you lived in Germany it would be what you called the house you keep autos in.
I sure wish I had a good tech around. One of the lamps appears to have a floating piece of broken white plastic in it though..Thanks for your input.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #6

Here's the DIY thread:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/218-how-to-make-your-litronic-xenon-cutoff-line-sharper/

I think you may have to be registered to see the DIY threads.

Steve
Old 10-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Here's the DIY thread:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/218-how-to-make-your-litronic-xenon-cutoff-line-sharper/

I think you may have to be registered to see the DIY threads.

Steve
Thanks Steve, I just returned the parts today though so I am on the hunt again...
Old 10-30-2013, 06:19 AM   #8

Amazon sells the Bosch HID lights:

Left:
Amazon.com: Bosch 0302473373 Headlight Assembly: Automotive

Right:
Amazon.com: Bosch 302473374 Headlight Assembly: Automotive

These do not include the module/wiring harness that lets the projector rotate up for high beam to supplement the halo high beams but you can get that from off eBay (that is a future project of mine)

The prices seem to fluctuate, a few months ago they were around $750.

Are these the ones you got? I don't know anyone who has gotten them yet, so unsure if these are the ones you got with the parts rolling around inside.

I just recently got a used pair for $1000 including the corner pieces. The gaskets were all gunked up but otherwise fine. I had some problems when I first got them but it was resolved by installing a new headlight switch assembly.

If you keep your eyes on eBay or even here sometimes they will pop up for sale from time to time.

Good luck!

Steve
Old 10-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Amazon sells the Bosch HID lights:

Left:
Amazon.com: Bosch 0302473373 Headlight Assembly: Automotive

Right:
Amazon.com: Bosch 302473374 Headlight Assembly: Automotive

These do not include the module/wiring harness that lets the projector rotate up for high beam to supplement the halo high beams but you can get that from off eBay (that is a future project of mine)

The prices seem to fluctuate, a few months ago they were around $750.

Are these the ones you got? I don't know anyone who has gotten them yet, so unsure if these are the ones you got with the parts rolling around inside.

I just recently got a used pair for $1000 including the corner pieces. The gaskets were all gunked up but otherwise fine. I had some problems when I first got them but it was resolved by installing a new headlight switch assembly.

If you keep your eyes on eBay or even here sometimes they will pop up for sale from time to time.

Good luck!

Steve
Yes, these were the same part numbers but from a different supplier closing them out. I also found another supplier on e-bay for 1574 on the pair delivered. I'll get another order going as soon as I receive credit from my parts return.

Thanks for all your input.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #10

Check Dallas craigslist. I think there is a set. It's a younger girl and I bought side markers from her for cheap for my 996
stilov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Nettgen View Post
Ok, so I am bummed at the moment. I ordered a new set of Bosch Xenon headlamps to de-amber and upgrade my car. I found a great deal on what is a new set with warranty on e-bay for 1375. but when they came in it appears that the internal light mounts in the housing are broken and the lights are loose and move around. These were the last set of new old stock so all I can do is hope to get my $$ back unless I can fix them.

Does any body know if internal parts are available and how to remount the reflector lights in the housing....is is even possible?
I'm curious as to who the eBay seller was... ?

Tags
litronics , xenon