Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #1

986 Litronic Xenon Headlights $1,200

Up for sale are a matching pair of Porsche Litronic headlights that I took off of my 986 before selling the car. Buying these headlights new would cost over $1,900 if not buying from Porsche and an insane $3,600 if buying directly from Porsche. This does not include the clear corner pieces included with my headlights that cost $40 elsewhere and $100 if buying directly from Porsche. Buying used gets you a pair of headlights for several hundred less than a single headlight bought directly from Porsche!

The car did not have the Litronic headlights on when I bought it. Although not cheap, I felt they were a good investment because of both the increased light output and the way that they dress up the front of the car, especially if you car has the entire amber bar below the headlights. Car was never wrecked and headlights were never damaged and as of last driving the car before it found a new home, the lights worked perfectly. As you already know, these lights are simple plug and play and after receiving the lights you can be up and running in 5 minutes. I will be happy to link the buyer to a tutorial detailing the easy installation and removal procedure.

Lights are in excellent condition with only a few very small scratches and marks that accumulate from the driving the car. As the pictures show, any imperfections are so minute as to be essentially invisible. I have many pictures that I will be uploading in the posts below. Additionally, I have also installed a LED bulb in place of the H6W city light in each headlight that is white in color to match the coloration of the HID low beam. I have pictures attached below of them lit up as well. If the buyer does not like this change the bulbs can be replaced simply with incandescent bulbs for a few bucks.

I am happy to accept virtually any form of legitimate payment. I will be happy to accept checks and will ship the lights when the check clears. Also happy to accept Paypal if the buyer would like to pay the fee. Finally, since I doubt there are many Litronic buyers in West Tennessee, I will happily ship the lights for an additional $60. They will ship well padded in the box that Porsche originally packaged them in. Hopefully I have not left anything out. Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments you may have.

Since my pictures are above the size threshold, additional pictures of the lights can be found in my Facebook album here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2035495&id=181100329&l=2d25cd9768

phaphaphooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:34 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Just a heads up, litronics sell for about $1100 on eBay, and they go for less on Porsche forums, like $900, and that's normally with the shipping cost.
Good selling them though.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
$1200 is actually a fair price these days though. The price of Litronics have gone WAAAAYYYY up recently (see below link, where they now go for $2,700 a pair at Suncoast (when they used to sell them for $1300 new). If they are in perfect condition, I'd say, he's in the ballpark.

http://www.****************************************************.com/product/00004490041.html?Category_Code=986lights

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #4

Thanks for the heads up Rick. As Boxtaboy (sp?) noted, if you had been in the Porsche community for the better part of a decade as I have, (started on Porsche Pete's Boxster Board back when it was founded and then migrated to 6speed and Rennlist) you would know that Porsche has increased the prices on many items such as litronics to where the price I am asking is actually quite a good deal for very close to new lights when considering the cost to get them from alternative sources. In fact, if your 2.5L in your 99 were to fail from the IMS, D-chunk, or something else, the reman that Porsche would sell you would likely be more expensive than a remanned X-51 3.6L used in the 02+ 996 cars. Porsche loves to increase the price on older parts.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:50 AM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Hey phapha, regarding those LED city lights you installed under the xenon bulb itself, do you mind letting us know where you sourced them? You can PM me the response if you prefer. I've read that LED lights run a little hotter than regular bulbs. Have you found any issues with them discoloring the lenses? I would like to add them to my Litronics as well, as I don't like the contrast between the white xenon bulb and the yellowish regular city light underneath it.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #6

Boxtaboy, I would be happy to. I hope I do not break any rules by doing so but if I do I hope the mods will feel free to edit my post to remove the offending material. I bought them here: http://store.42draftdesigns.com/High-Intensity-BAX9S-LED_p_40.html

At the time that I bought them (around 2 years ago) this was the only LED option. The reason that you cannot buy them off the usual LED sites is that the base of the bulb is a bax9s which differs from a normal plug and twist since the two nodules on the base of the light are not opposite each other as they are on normal light but rather are at about a 90 degree angle from one another. Thankfully VW cars use this same configuration and someone on 6speed stumbled upon the site I linked above. Although they cater to the VW crowd the leds fit our cars. Leds actually run cooler than incandescents so there is no danger to your headlight housing at all. The only danger is to the LED light itself since it can fail when it gets too hot. I did have one set fail quickly but after speaking with the linked company above they sent out a new set with heat sinks installed on the leds. Those lasted until I uninstalled the lights for sale in this thread. If putting them into a housing with halogen lighting they would likely fail since normal lights put out so much heat. However, since litronic low beams run so cool as do all HIDs compared to their halogen counterparts I don't think it should be a problem with the newer design. I would go with the higher output leds as the lower ones are not terribly bright. Also I would go with the white colored leds as they match the HID light output as far as the color temp scale goes very well. Sorry for the long winded answer.

Also, after thinking I feel I was a bit condescending to Rick in my previous post. Although I feel the lights are priced fairly for the reasons stated previously, it probably could have been said in a better way. My apologies.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Hey, don't sweat it.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:14 AM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Thanks for the info on the LEDs! The mods never end. Lol.

Good luck with your sale.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #9

Garage
I am really interested but I need answers (sorry newbie here).
I am pretty much ready to buy a 1999 Boxster in mint condition (20,000 miles on it) with the standard halogen lights.
Will these fit without issues? Simply plug and play?
I just sold my 2006 Cayenne and I do remember on that model, to go from halogen to Xenon it was not that simple. It was really plug and pray for no fire after doing it. It involved several modifications. Resuming: PITA, close to impossible.
Is that the case with the Boxster (1999 model)? If it is plug an play you may have found a buyer.

Thanks!

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crod
I am really interested but I need answers (sorry newbie here).
I am pretty much ready to buy a 1999 Boxster in mint condition (20,000 miles on it) with the standard halogen lights.
Will these fit without issues? Simply plug and play?
I just sold my 2006 Cayenne and I do remember on that model, to go from halogen to Xenon it was not that simple. It was really plug and pray for no fire after doing it. It involved several modifications. Resuming: PITA, close to impossible.
Is that the case with the Boxster (1999 model)? If it is plug an play you may have found a buyer.

Thanks!

CR
It is plug and play. You can pop out your old lights, pop in the Xenons, and everything will work. However, there is an additional feature of the lights swiveling up a few degrees to help the highbeam lamps when you turn those on that you will not have unless you also install the litronic control unit which if you can find one, costs another few hundred. I replaced my halogens with these Xenons or Litronics as Porsche calls them, but opted to not install the control unit because I don't very much ever need to use the high beams where I live, as the xenons are plenty light enough. The highbeams without the control unit install will still work, but not nearly as much light if the low beam xenons don't swivel up those extra few degrees to help. Again, I didn't care about that.

Just make sure you get the lights aimed correctly when you pop them in, and you will be good to go.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #11

I responded to your PM but as Boxtaboy says these are plug and play. I didn't really want to mess with the control unit as it involves wiring and whatnot and makes the install no longer plug and play. Without the unit, there is a small gap between the low beam and high beam when the high beams are engaged. As Boxtaboy says, wasn't worth the trouble for me.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #12

still for sale
Old 04-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
still for sale
Unofficially sold but as of this up and coming weekend it will be official. Chris I look forward to meeting you bud and wrapping this all up after so long, until than stay classy my friend.

Carlos Jr
2003 Porsche Boxster S 3.2L l AASCO Lightweight Flywheel l FVD Brombacher ECU l FVD Brombacher 100 Cell Sport Catalytics l FVD Brombacher Sport Headers l GiroDisc 340mm FR Rotors l IPD Intake Plenum l Litronics l KW Variant 3 Coilovers l Porsche 997 75mm Throttle Body l Road Sport Supply Underdrive Pulley Kit l Sachs Stage 2 Racing Clutch Kit l TechArt Short Shift Kit l TechArt Power Flow Kit l TechArt Sport Exhaust.
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #14

I've got some for sale too...

ping me if you're looking for some.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:19 AM   #15

Nice to see some more tennesseans on this board. Good luck with your sale. Love Litronics! Only way to go in my opinion.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #16

Chris, you transformed my car greatly, and I can say it has been one of the utmost best investments I have made thus far. It was a pleasure meeting you and the wife on Friday and I look forward to lunch in the future! All the best.

SOLD
2003 Porsche Boxster S 3.2L l AASCO Lightweight Flywheel l FVD Brombacher ECU l FVD Brombacher 100 Cell Sport Catalytics l FVD Brombacher Sport Headers l GiroDisc 340mm FR Rotors l IPD Intake Plenum l Litronics l KW Variant 3 Coilovers l Porsche 997 75mm Throttle Body l Road Sport Supply Underdrive Pulley Kit l Sachs Stage 2 Racing Clutch Kit l TechArt Short Shift Kit l TechArt Power Flow Kit l TechArt Sport Exhaust.
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #17

Been busy so just now able to respond. Not only did I sell my headlights, I was also able to make a new friend and meet a local car enthusiast. I consider myself blessed.