View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
phaphaphooey

Boxtaboy, I would be happy to. I hope I do not break any rules by doing so but if I do I hope the mods will feel free to edit my post to remove the offending material. I bought them here: http://store.42draftdesigns.com/High-Intensity-BAX9S-LED_p_40.html

At the time that I bought them (around 2 years ago) this was the only LED option. The reason that you cannot buy them off the usual LED sites is that the base of the bulb is a bax9s which differs from a normal plug and twist since the two nodules on the base of the light are not opposite each other as they are on normal light but rather are at about a 90 degree angle from one another. Thankfully VW cars use this same configuration and someone on 6speed stumbled upon the site I linked above. Although they cater to the VW crowd the leds fit our cars. Leds actually run cooler than incandescents so there is no danger to your headlight housing at all. The only danger is to the LED light itself since it can fail when it gets too hot. I did have one set fail quickly but after speaking with the linked company above they sent out a new set with heat sinks installed on the leds. Those lasted until I uninstalled the lights for sale in this thread. If putting them into a housing with halogen lighting they would likely fail since normal lights put out so much heat. However, since litronic low beams run so cool as do all HIDs compared to their halogen counterparts I don't think it should be a problem with the newer design. I would go with the higher output leds as the lower ones are not terribly bright. Also I would go with the white colored leds as they match the HID light output as far as the color temp scale goes very well. Sorry for the long winded answer.

Also, after thinking I feel I was a bit condescending to Rick in my previous post. Although I feel the lights are priced fairly for the reasons stated previously, it probably could have been said in a better way. My apologies.
phaphaphooey is offline   Reply With Quote