Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #1

best tires for 2000 boxster

i have a 2000 boxster and currently have what sounds like road noise coming from the tires. i need to replace and would like tires with good preformance and low road noise can someone recomend any for me?

ibnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:28 AM   #2

Welcome.
You ask about "best tires?" This is not a one line answer. Many considerations, driving style, conditions, enviroment, $, $$, $$$.
Try Tire Rack.com first and then come back here and start searching the forums.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:27 AM   #3

Garage
Michelin.

But any tire can make noise if it dosen't wear evenly
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:59 AM   #4

Recommendations

The most common replacement tires on a Boxster are Michelin PS2 with N rating (different from same marketing name tire for BMW or Mercedes!), Kumho ECSTA ASX and Sumitomo HTR Z III. The latter 2 are cheaper and haven't been given the Porsche seal of approval. The first is the gold standard...and you pay for it.

All are Ultra High Performance Summer tires. Summer as in 'lose traction below 40 degrees and around freezing are downright dangerous.'
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #5

I just put Bridgestone S02A's on my 2001 S. They are Porsche approved, N3 rated. Highly recommended, made a huge difference compared to the Kumho Ecsta SPT's I had on before, which were giving wheel shimmy, and pulling to the left after a couple of seasons. Car drives smoothly, quietly (as far as tire noise..) and dead on center now. I will never again buy cheap tires for this car just to save a couple hundred dollars.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Tires

Just switched from pirelli P0's with about 15000 on them they were noisy didn't handle bad but certainly far from great, bought the michelin ps2's from tire rack $$$$$ but after driving them today... worth every penny, they are quiet smooth no wheel pull and so far have not pushed them , need to scrub them in - in 2 week i'm doing a DE at Sebring let you know how they did -
harryrcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #7

Garage
Im running dunlop z1 starspecs and they are amazing. better than my old michlins.

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote