Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster & Cayman Detailing Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2019, 01:45 PM   #1

Waterless car washing

The concept of waterless carwash seems odd to me. A cross of potential permanent paint damage, or voodoo to get the dirt off with no damage.

The two links below were provided from another thread, and I was wondering if anyone else has used or had good experience with waterless car wash systems.

Of course the people that sell this stuff claim you can can clean off some serious dirt with their product. So it peaks my curiosity.

https://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-waterless-car-wash-collection.html

https://www.ammonyc.com/shop/hoseless-lift-kit-150/

thoughts?

Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:09 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Larry at AmmoNYC is a very knowledgeable, great YouTube channel, but his stuff is expensive. The way I have seen waterless/rinseless wash described is that the wash/soap encapsulates any dirt, and acts as a really good lubricant to avoid the dirt getting pushed around causing any scratches. I have a bottle of Optimum Waterless Wash, people seem to rave about how great it is, but I haven't tried it yet, I bought it to use as a clay bar lubricant/quick detailer. If I ever do a real rinseless wash, I would probably only do one wipe per side of a folded microfiber towel to minimize the chance of scratches.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:58 PM   #3
Damn Yankee

Garage
I can only vouch for I use on our Caymans. For the last 2+ years, I've been using the Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine, then finishing off with Griot's Best of Show Spray Wax, producing very good results.

Recently switched to the Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash, finished off with Car Guys Premium Hybrid Wax. Even better results, and the finish seems to last longer.

It is understandable that you would be hesitant to get on the waterless bandwagon, but if you research the process further and even dip your toe in, you may find that it is a hassle free and even superior way of keeping your Porsche sparkling.

BTW, stock up on edgeless microfiber cloths.

Just sayin'..........

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:49 AM   #4

Probably the main reason I bought Larry's kit was because of his videos. They are such a great resource. He is also pretty accessible if you have a question.

He recently put up a "guide" on when to use waterless washes vs actually getting out the hose based on how dirty the car is. It's pretty much common sense, but it's there if you want the info.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:30 PM   #5
Need For Speed

Garage
It's not a replacement for normal car washing. Personally, I wouldn't even think about it unless you have ceramic coated the car with a nice SiO2 sealant on top of that.

This guy shows how to use it, but his car is ceramic coated with SiO2 sealant on top of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wYLcGQ37iQ

Last edited by KRAM36; 05-04-2019 at 10:11 AM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:20 AM   #6

I use the waterless car wash from "the chemical guy's", Works great for a quick once over if the car has been sitting for the weekend, or has just the usual coating of dust and a little grime. If it really needs a bath, out comes the bucket.
SMK Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:48 PM   #7
On the slippery slope

Garage
I've been using Optimum NoRinse for years and it works great. It comes in wash N shine and and wash n wax versions
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:54 PM   #8

Garage
I use Adams Waterless Car Wash when my P car is dusty but anything worse, I use water to clean off dirt.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
I've been using Optimum NoRinse for years and it works great. It comes in wash N shine and and wash n wax versions
^Me too! A Perfectlap recommendation I began to follow quite a number of years ago..
Use it to make quick detailer solution. And to make clay bar lubricant. Put a squirt into the wash solution when doing a full-bucket car wash, to add "lubricity"...doncha just LOVE that word?? Lubricity...it just kinda rolllllls off the tongue!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:29 PM   #10
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
^Me too! A Perfectlap recommendation I began to follow quite a number of years ago..
Use it to make quick detailer solution. And to make clay bar lubricant. Put a squirt into the wash solution when doing a full-bucket car wash, to add "lubricity"...doncha just LOVE that word?? Lubricity...it just kinda rolllllls off the tongue!
I mix it in a 2 gallon pump sprayer. That way its always ready to go. +986 on using it as a detailer and clay lube.

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote