Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster & Cayman Detailing Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2018, 06:43 PM   #1

Mother's Speed Clay 2.0?

My clay bar was old so I bought the Mother's Speed Clay 2.0. Used it on a car I just bought. Hadn't had a chance to look at the car in good sunlight before I used the Speed Clay. Seems there are some small swirls after I got done. Not sure if they were there before or were caused by the Speed Clay. I'll be able to remove them in my next step (swirl removal), but don't need to add to my workload.

Anyone else used it and what were you results?

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 03-03-2018 at 06:34 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:35 AM   #2

It was a bit late last night when I posted, so here's what I did.

I washed & dried the car before doing the speed clay. I used detailer to lubricate the surface. I even had a rinse bucket to clean the speed clay between panels. I did small to med circles where appropriate, but also did angle motions over the contours. I used a microfiber towel to buff the residue after it dried. All per the instructions on the package.

The swirls that I found after buffing aren't your typical swirls - they looked more like the motion I used with the speed clay. That's why I was suspecting it. When looking at the product in the store, my concern was where do the imperfections pulled from the surface go? The speed clay is not porous and won't absorb them like clay bar would. Seems to me they would just remain on the surface of the speed clay and could potentially scratch your paint. But I figured if Mother's is selling it, they would have figured that out before marketing the product.

Now I'm not so sure.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:13 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The only question I can think of would be, did you push down while using it? With regular clay you want to move it very quickly but with almost no downward pressure. However, a lot of people will move slowly and apply a lot of pressure. You need a good lubricant to do this right, I like to use foam car soap.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:17 PM   #4

For those of you who are not familiar with the product, here's a link:

Mothers® Speed® Clay 2.0 - Clay Bar

Watching the video, I may have used too much pressure. Looks like they just sweep across the panels.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:38 PM   #5

I have one, works great! I was skeptical, but I’m a believer now. And yes, light to almost no pressure and a good soapy formula. This thing is magic I tell you.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:39 PM   #6

I use the mcguirs clay, use the detailing soray as lubercant. I watched sever videos and most of the pro ones say not to use circle strokes but to go in straight lines, light presure.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:26 PM   #7

Garage
Griots Garage Clay bar. Wash car with Dawn first to strip the wax. Make soapy water with Dawn to lubricate. Straight lines, no pressure, just let it float over the surface.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:19 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwhzn View Post
Griots Garage Clay bar. Wash car with Dawn first to strip the wax. Make soapy water with Dawn to lubricate. Straight lines, no pressure, just let it float over the surface.
I would NOT recommend using Dawn Dish Soap as it is an abrasive. Perhaps if you have a very old car with much oxidation on the paint.

Use a car, Ph balanced, shampoo or detail spray to keep the clay bar lubricated.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
The swirls that I found after buffing aren't your typical swirls - they looked more like the motion I used with the speed clay. That's why I was suspecting it. When looking at the product in the store, my concern was where do the imperfections pulled from the surface go? The speed clay is not porous and won't absorb them like clay bar would. Seems to me they would just remain on the surface of the speed clay and could potentially scratch your paint.
Yep, exactly why I'm not a fan of the 'synthetic' clay kit options sold these days - mitts, pads, whatever... For average Joes who aren't into detailing and just need heavy surface contamination cleaned quickly, it's sufficient I suppose. Might be tolerable for light finishes (i.e. white, silver, etc.) where swirls don't show easily but otherwise wouldn't even think of using. Just be glad you didn't use the kind which it attaches to your DA or rotary. Surprised Griots sells some but then again at one point they sold a pad w/ a pocket you dropped an actual clay bar into for 'high speed' claying

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
But I figured if Mother's is selling it, they would have figured that out before marketing the product.
Marketing is about promoting. And we've had our share of gorilla marketers here over the years [cough]. For instance, how many IMS solutions/fixes have been served up? Including those selling their current 'final fix'. As opposed to their previous 'final fix(es)' - LOL. And there will be more... caveat emptor

Hopefully the damage isn't too severe and w/ a mild polish you can get it back quickly.

Good luck
Old 03-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Yep, exactly why I'm not a fan of the 'synthetic' clay kit options sold these days - mitts, pads, whatever... For average Joes who aren't into detailing and just need heavy surface contamination cleaned quickly, it's sufficient I suppose. Might be tolerable for light finishes (i.e. white, silver, etc.) where swirls don't show easily but otherwise wouldn't even think of using. Just be glad you didn't use the kind which it attaches to your DA or rotary. Surprised Griots sells some but then again at one point they sold a pad w/ a pocket you dropped an actual clay bar into for 'high speed' claying

Marketing is about promoting. And we've had our share of gorilla marketers here over the years [cough]. For instance, how many IMS solutions/fixes have been served up? Including those selling their current 'final fix'. As opposed to their previous 'final fix(es)' - LOL. And there will be more... caveat emptor

Hopefully the damage isn't too severe and w/ a mild polish you can get it back quickly.

Good luck
Yeah the problem with detailing paint is experience, the average person doesn't understand the products well enough generally to use. My dad was a body shop
owner and I worked for him for 5 years detailing, a lot has changed product wise
but same idea. I watched a lot of videos from McGuire's and several other you tuber's that are professional detailers first. Then I did a small area out of site.
I enjoy detailing though do it on all my cars.
I think the key is research, understand, and watch. Then try on small spot out of sight.