986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster & Cayman Detailing Discussion (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Mother's Speed Clay 2.0? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71216)

husker boxster 03-02-2018 06:43 PM

Mother's Speed Clay 2.0?

My clay bar was old so I bought the Mother's Speed Clay 2.0. Used it on a car I just bought. Hadn't had a chance to look at the car in good sunlight before I used the Speed Clay. Seems there are some small swirls after I got done. Not sure if they were there before or were caused by the Speed Clay. I'll be able to remove them in my next step (swirl removal), but don't need to add to my workload.

Anyone else used it and what were you results?

husker boxster 03-03-2018 06:35 AM

It was a bit late last night when I posted, so here's what I did.

I washed & dried the car before doing the speed clay. I used detailer to lubricate the surface. I even had a rinse bucket to clean the speed clay between panels. I did small to med circles where appropriate, but also did angle motions over the contours. I used a microfiber towel to buff the residue after it dried. All per the instructions on the package.

The swirls that I found after buffing aren't your typical swirls - they looked more like the motion I used with the speed clay. That's why I was suspecting it. When looking at the product in the store, my concern was where do the imperfections pulled from the surface go? The speed clay is not porous and won't absorb them like clay bar would. Seems to me they would just remain on the surface of the speed clay and could potentially scratch your paint. But I figured if Mother's is selling it, they would have figured that out before marketing the product.

Now I'm not so sure.

rick3000 03-03-2018 07:13 AM

The only question I can think of would be, did you push down while using it? With regular clay you want to move it very quickly but with almost no downward pressure. However, a lot of people will move slowly and apply a lot of pressure. You need a good lubricant to do this right, I like to use foam car soap.

husker boxster 03-03-2018 01:17 PM

For those of you who are not familiar with the product, here's a link:

Mothers® Speed® Clay 2.0 - Clay Bar

Watching the video, I may have used too much pressure. Looks like they just sweep across the panels.

Geof3 03-03-2018 11:38 PM

I have one, works great! I was skeptical, but I’m a believer now. And yes, light to almost no pressure and a good soapy formula. This thing is magic I tell you.

Cunningr 03-15-2018 02:39 PM

I use the mcguirs clay, use the detailing soray as lubercant. I watched sever videos and most of the pro ones say not to use circle strokes but to go in straight lines, light presure.

nieuwhzn 03-15-2018 09:26 PM

Griots Garage Clay bar. Wash car with Dawn first to strip the wax. Make soapy water with Dawn to lubricate. Straight lines, no pressure, just let it float over the surface.

Ciao 03-16-2018 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieuwhzn (Post 565449)
Griots Garage Clay bar. Wash car with Dawn first to strip the wax. Make soapy water with Dawn to lubricate. Straight lines, no pressure, just let it float over the surface.

I would NOT recommend using Dawn Dish Soap as it is an abrasive. Perhaps if you have a very old car with much oxidation on the paint.

Use a car, Ph balanced, shampoo or detail spray to keep the clay bar lubricated.

Burg Boxster 03-16-2018 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster (Post 564264)
The swirls that I found after buffing aren't your typical swirls - they looked more like the motion I used with the speed clay. That's why I was suspecting it. When looking at the product in the store, my concern was where do the imperfections pulled from the surface go? The speed clay is not porous and won't absorb them like clay bar would. Seems to me they would just remain on the surface of the speed clay and could potentially scratch your paint.

Yep, exactly why I'm not a fan of the 'synthetic' clay kit options sold these days - mitts, pads, whatever... For average Joes who aren't into detailing and just need heavy surface contamination cleaned quickly, it's sufficient I suppose. Might be tolerable for light finishes (i.e. white, silver, etc.) where swirls don't show easily but otherwise wouldn't even think of using. Just be glad you didn't use the kind which it attaches to your DA or rotary. Surprised Griots sells some but then again at one point they sold a pad w/ a pocket you dropped an actual clay bar into for 'high speed' claying :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster (Post 564264)
But I figured if Mother's is selling it, they would have figured that out before marketing the product.

Marketing is about promoting. And we've had our share of gorilla marketers here over the years [cough]. For instance, how many IMS solutions/fixes have been served up? Including those selling their current 'final fix'. As opposed to their previous 'final fix(es)' - LOL. And there will be more... caveat emptor

Hopefully the damage isn't too severe and w/ a mild polish you can get it back quickly.

Good luck :)

Cunningr 03-16-2018 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burg Boxster (Post 565463)
Yep, exactly why I'm not a fan of the 'synthetic' clay kit options sold these days - mitts, pads, whatever... For average Joes who aren't into detailing and just need heavy surface contamination cleaned quickly, it's sufficient I suppose. Might be tolerable for light finishes (i.e. white, silver, etc.) where swirls don't show easily but otherwise wouldn't even think of using. Just be glad you didn't use the kind which it attaches to your DA or rotary. Surprised Griots sells some but then again at one point they sold a pad w/ a pocket you dropped an actual clay bar into for 'high speed' claying :eek:

Marketing is about promoting. And we've had our share of gorilla marketers here over the years [cough]. For instance, how many IMS solutions/fixes have been served up? Including those selling their current 'final fix'. As opposed to their previous 'final fix(es)' - LOL. And there will be more... caveat emptor

Hopefully the damage isn't too severe and w/ a mild polish you can get it back quickly.

Good luck :)

Yeah the problem with detailing paint is experience, the average person doesn't understand the products well enough generally to use. My dad was a body shop
owner and I worked for him for 5 years detailing, a lot has changed product wise
but same idea. I watched a lot of videos from McGuire's and several other you tuber's that are professional detailers first. Then I did a small area out of site.
I enjoy detailing though do it on all my cars.:cheers:
I think the key is research, understand, and watch. Then try on small spot out of sight.