Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster & Cayman Detailing Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2016, 07:26 PM   #1

Mr. Clean magic eraser for scuffs?

Hi everyone,
Just got my '99 boxster and it's pretty mint however has a few scuff marks on the front bumper. Can I use the mr. clean magic eraser on that? If not, what's the best ways to get them off? Pic of scuffmarks:
https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ar6Sux1DCPvQhzCoOtgpxB3KhYpZ

Mauiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:15 PM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
Try a clay bar or mild compound.
Save the Mgic Eraser for household duty.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:39 PM   #3
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Don't use a magic eraser on paint, or any other surface easily scratched. Clay, and polish.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:39 AM   #4

Magic Eraser's are amazing for leather that's gone glossy (steering wheel) but the issue is that it doesn't last.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
Magic Eraser's are amazing for leather that's gone glossy (steering wheel) but the issue is that it doesn't last.
RE leather; I use jewlery abrasive paper (wet). No kidd, on million dollar Nappa leather and all. #1200grit min. #2000 recommended if you can find some.

I have no choice, got a savanhah beige here and the poorest look you can get is seats going glossy lolll. Works like a charm, cleans the leather good also (just like new!)
Old 07-01-2016, 03:52 AM   #6

Wow, I had no idea there was such a thing! Sure enough I googled "Clay bar" and got many hits. I also noticed a price range of 20-120 bucks, any recommendations?
Thank you!
Mauiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauiguy View Post
Wow, I had no idea there was such a thing! Sure enough I googled "Clay bar" and got many hits. I also noticed a price range of 20-120 bucks, any recommendations?
Thank you!
Oooohh if you haven't heard of clay bars you're in for a treat!

Claying a car is essential before polishing it. Basically, it's a putty that, when lubricated with a detailing spray, you rub around your clean paintwork and it'll rip out all of the dirt from all the little places you can't see in the body work. I washed my car perfectly, enough to eat your dinner off it, and when I clayed it I had to throw the putty out - it was that dirty. After claying a car, the paint should feel like glass.

It removes all of the contamination prior to polishing paint, otherwise you'll be polishing and rubbing all of those contaminants around your paintwork. After that, polishing the car the correct way (it's very easy to get it wrong and swirl your paint. Not as simple as buffing on and off), you'll have paintwork like mine was just after I clayed and polished it:

Anyway, sorry for straying off topic - got excited to explain clay to someone haha. Never heard of using clay on leather - interesting that!

With getting scuffs off a bumper, you can do it with wet and dry sand paper with compound. Not as daunting as it sounds.

This was my old car that had a scrape on it that someone kindly left:

And this is after a quick 10 minutes with wet and dry (2000 grit then 2500) and finishing with meguiars ultimate compound. All done by hand, no machines.

If you want to do it this way, I'll explain properly how to do it. It works wonders.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting

Last edited by geraintthomas; 07-01-2016 at 05:29 AM.
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:12 AM   #8

The Boxster clear coat when scratched leaves a visible mark. One simple way to get them out is a 3M scratch remover (others make similar products with similar names).
If the scratch is deep enough to detect with a finger nail you may need a more determined approach such as that wet sandpaper.
tlc356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:55 AM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
This was my old car that had a scrape on it that someone kindly left...

And this is after a quick 10 minutes with wet and dry (2000 grit then 2500) and finishing with meguiars ultimate compound. All done by hand, no machines.

If you want to do it this way, I'll explain properly how to do it. It works wonders.
Wow, that is pretty incredible. Can you all of us in on the secret?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:56 AM   #10

Go to the local auto parts store and they will have clay bars in stock. No need to spend a a lot of money on it. $25 tops for the clay bar and lubricant. Good luck.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:56 AM   #11

Garage
The amazing-ness of the clay bar still fascinates me. I do this every time I clay bar, but the effect was incredibly noticeable the first time I did it. I clay barred one side of the hood, then gently dragged a microfiber towel over both sides. The resistance on the side I didn't do was so amazing to me.

I know you're not supposed to drag a towel (or anything) across your finish without some fluid, but I can't help it.

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote