View Single Post
Old 07-01-2016, 05:25 AM   #7
geraintthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauiguy View Post
Wow, I had no idea there was such a thing! Sure enough I googled "Clay bar" and got many hits. I also noticed a price range of 20-120 bucks, any recommendations?
Thank you!
Oooohh if you haven't heard of clay bars you're in for a treat!

Claying a car is essential before polishing it. Basically, it's a putty that, when lubricated with a detailing spray, you rub around your clean paintwork and it'll rip out all of the dirt from all the little places you can't see in the body work. I washed my car perfectly, enough to eat your dinner off it, and when I clayed it I had to throw the putty out - it was that dirty. After claying a car, the paint should feel like glass.

It removes all of the contamination prior to polishing paint, otherwise you'll be polishing and rubbing all of those contaminants around your paintwork. After that, polishing the car the correct way (it's very easy to get it wrong and swirl your paint. Not as simple as buffing on and off), you'll have paintwork like mine was just after I clayed and polished it:

Anyway, sorry for straying off topic - got excited to explain clay to someone haha. Never heard of using clay on leather - interesting that!

With getting scuffs off a bumper, you can do it with wet and dry sand paper with compound. Not as daunting as it sounds.

This was my old car that had a scrape on it that someone kindly left:

And this is after a quick 10 minutes with wet and dry (2000 grit then 2500) and finishing with meguiars ultimate compound. All done by hand, no machines.

If you want to do it this way, I'll explain properly how to do it. It works wonders.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting

Last edited by geraintthomas; 07-01-2016 at 05:29 AM.
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote