View Single Post
Old 05-20-2007, 05:16 AM   #20
Bavarian Motorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
I think the problem with your statement is that you're not correctly identifying the competition.

The base 987 2.7 with 245 hp goes up against:

SLK280 - 228 hp
BMW Z4 3.0 - 215 hp
Audi TT 2.0 - 200hp
Honda S2000 -237hp

Yes, it's the most expensive, but it's also got the most horses.

The Boxster S goes up against:

SLK350 - 268hp
Z4 3.0 SI (255hp)
Audi TT 3.2 - 250hp
Nissan 350Z 306hp

Once again, the most expensive but with 295 hp, more than competitive.

The Boxster S also is forced to go up agains the super variants and while short on power, still more than holds it's own in performance. Porsche obvioulsy doesn't make a third variant of the Boxster, because it doesn't need to (read previous sentence).

AMGSLK55 - 355hp
Z4M - 330hp

Basically, while the competition (in some cases) covers the full roadster spectrum with three variants, Porsche does it with two, which kind of puts their models in between the slots created by the competition. I'd love to see a super variant on the Boxster, as would we all, but alas....

I disagree here. Just because the Boxster "corresponds" to those models does not mean it is the direct competitor to them.

In reality, the base Boxster will be competing with the Z4 si ($42,000) and the SLK350 ($48,000) while the SLK280 and Z4 are in a slightly lower class.

They have more variants, but the Boxster doesn't come in until the "second variant" merely due to price similarities. That's what matters to consumers, after all.

The Boxster S would compete with the likes of the M roadster and SLK55. It does this well, despite having less horses, it's more car than both (and that's saying a lot because the M roadster is a hell a of a lot of car)

If you look at comparison tests, it's usually between an M roadster or M coupe and Boxster/Cayman S.

That's what I think anyhow.

Thanks for the answers, everyone.