View Single Post
Old 05-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #14
Perfectlap

I don't understand why Porsche had to make the Boxster a different car to the Carrera at all.
With the cars being nearly the same from the seats forward, they could have simply called the Boxster the Carrera Roadster alla the Carrea Cabriolet or maybe even called it the Carrera MR and Carrera MR-S.
This way they could have avoided the whole 'putting a smaller engine' in the Boxster issue and simply stuck a 3.6 or 3.8 into the roadster.
The flood of Boxster sales that came in could have been spent to drive down the cost of Carrera engines and increase profits EVEN MORE. Why go through all the trouble of having to engineer an all new Boxer engine with all its expense and the added expense of having to revamp the engines in 2000? No doubt building an aditional 100,000 (already designed) Carrera engines would have made more money and made allot of Boxster customers happy. Two birds with one stone...
Did producing 2.5 and 2.7 engines really cost that much less than the 3.6 and 3.8? We aren't talking huge power differences here...

If I were in charge I would have every Porsche made running on the GT1 Race Block found only in the GT3 and TT, true dry sump. If you're going to build expensive sports cars...build expensive sports cars.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote