View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 06:44 AM   #16
MNBoxster

Hi,

What you feel will be dictated to a large degree in how experienced you are and the degree of your expectations. Many Chassis/Suspension tweaks are like that, subtle, small in scope, but real improvements nonetheless.

I first did the Front Brace (Racing Dynamics) and noticed an immediate difference. Not a whole different car, but tighter, more sure and the tiny bit of cowl shake the Boxster does have, gone.

I didn't think a Rear Brace would make much difference with the Roll Bar and all, but as I looked at the structure, I realized that it didn't do a thing to prevent Strut Tower movement under hard maneuvering. Still, I decided that any benefit would probably not be worth the cost of the Brace - $150-$200.

Then, Mid-America Motorworks had a sale dropping their Rear Brace from $250 to $175 and I took the plunge. When I installed it, it was apparent how much movement between the Strut Towers there actually was. The Car totally settled down and seemed much more of a unit than a separate pair of axles.

But, again, as I mentioned, you need to be able to detect the change and have a proper expectation. It won't turn a Boxster into a Lotus, but it is definitely a significant improvement. I have worked on Track Car suspensions for many years and realize that improvements are generally very limited, or often limited to a specific set of circumstances and not always felt across the entire driving dynamic. But, the suspension is much more deliberate and predictable with the Braces, if only slightly so. If the OEM setup felt right, with the Strut Towers now fixed, it feels more right.

While I haven't actually tested this, I suspect limiting the range of Camber change the Braces achieve, you will probably add a couple thousand miles to your Tire life as well (though there are so many variables here that all may not experience this) - not Earth shattering, but still an improvement.

I recommend adding both Braces and am also intrigued by the Lower Brace which Insite is currently reporting on. Not necessarily enough to commit to one (mostly because of what my car is used for, and unsure if it will fit on a Tip S car). And, I see this Lower Brace not as a substitute for the Upper Brace, but as a probable compliment to it. This is because each one reduces unwanted movement in it's specific area, but won't do a thing to eliminate movement on the opposite end of the Strut. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-17-2007 at 06:48 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote