Thread: BMW M-school
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
larryshomework

BMW M-school

Just got back from the 1 day BMW M-school at the plant in Spartanburg.

Great experience. Lot's of seat time in the Z4-based M Coupe and the M5 (500 hp!). We had 8 total events including heel/toe shifting (I was terrible), wet skidpad for understeer/oversteer correction, braking into corners, cornering, a 2 car race on a wet skidpad, a timed technical course, auto-x practice (about 15 laps or so on the full course) and a timed 2-lap run on the Auto-x course.

Learned alot - especially about breaking. I did pretty good overall. There were 14 participants. I'd guess I finished in the top 3rd. I was undefeated in the 2 car race on a wet skidpad (beat 3 others a couple times). I was mid-pack in a 2-lap technical course with a slalom and box you had to stop in after the 2nd lap. I finished 4th in the auto-x on the full course (M5s). I was 1 second behind first and less than a tenth behind 3rd. My time of 49.49 on my second lap was one of only 4 laps under 50 seconds. I now a couple places I could have made a small correction and I would have won the damn thing! (I'm sure everyone else feels the same ).

I've never done anything like this - I was pretty pumped afterwards. Planning to begin Auto-x this summer.

:dance:
larryshomework is offline   Reply With Quote