View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 08:55 AM   #1
MNBoxster

Update: Griot's Random Orbital

Hi,

Well, spent the weekend finishing up restoring the finish on my Guards Red '99 with my new (now not so new) Griot's Random Orbital.

Griot's sells a kit containing Clay, Speed Shine, Best of Show liquid Wax, Machine Polish #3 (1 of 4 grades), an Orange Polishing Pad and a Red Wax Pad.

I removed the Headlamps, Side Intakes, Side Markers, Tail Lamps, Badge and Trim and did the whole car with the #3 Machine Polish - no swirl marks, all scratches gone. I applied 1 coat of Zaino Z5 to the hood and didn't think the true shine was there.

So, I went to a local Co. called the Complete Garage - selling mostly Fru-Fru Garage Cabinetry and such, but also a local Griot's Dealer to buy another Orange Pad and some Machine Polish #4.

The Machine Polish #4 made all the difference, increased the refraction and reflectivity of the paint tremendously. Finished the whole car with the #4 then 2 coats of Zaino Z5 followed by 2 coats of Zaino Z2.

The finish looks better than new and the Griot's was easy to work with as were their Machine Polishes. I recommend the system, but be sure to include the #4 Polish as a finish coat.

Well, that's all the planned maintenance for the year - Painted Calipers Red, installed new Brake Pads (Pagid OEM), Flushed the Brake System (ATE Super Blue), Changed the leaky Gasket, Fluid and Filter on the Tiptronic S, cleaned and waxed the Turbo Twists w/ Wheel Wax, treated and cleaned the leather with Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil and Pristine Clean and polished and Zaino'd the exterior. I think the results speak for themselves.

Now all that's left for me is the Intermarque Spring Car Show next weekend and DRIVING!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-15-2007 at 09:01 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote