View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
MNBoxster

Hi,

I bet you have the 4-spoke Steering Wheel right? Well, if so, the problem lies in the Steering Wheel. It's the Rubber Bushings on the Airbag/Horn Pad Retaining Frame - PN# 993.347.088.01 . This 4-Spoke Wheel is taken directly from the 993 and the problem is well known.

This Airbag/Horn Pad Retaining Frame functions to hold the Airbag/Horn Pad and keep it suspended above the Horn circuit electrical contacts. You push the Horn Pad against these bushings, which give, and the Airbag/Horn Pad will move toward the contacts, complete the circuit and sound the Horn.

What happens when the Bushings tear is that the Airbag/Horn Pad can no longer stand away from the contacts. When you apply the breaks, the inertia causes the Airbag/Horn Pad to move forward, complete the circuit and sound the Horn all on it's own.

Replacement is a pretty simple procedure and the Retaining Frame sells for under $50, last I heard, it was $39 from Sunset. You will need a T-30 Torx Bit to remove the Airbag/Horn Pad (that's the fastener in the 2 holes on the backside of the Steering Wheel), (be sure to disconnect the Battery and wait 5 min. to deactivate the Airbag System) pull the Airbag electrical connector. Other than that, it's just removing 2 bolts and the Retaining Frame comes free.

There is also an R&R that requires replacing the bushings w/ Rubber Washers. The difficulty may lie in finding the correct sized washers. For the difference, I'd go with a Frame replacement. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote