Thread: Stalled...Erp
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2007, 06:27 AM   #8
MNBoxster

Hi,

That's a pretty drastic diagnosis. What code did they receive - P0300, P0304 or P1316? These are the only relevant codes for EOBD software which your car has, though there a misfire can be consequential of other causes as well.

Schnell describes only one way for a misfire to occur. There are many other ways this can happen such as Fuel Delivery, OČ Sensor and/or MAF issues - causing the Engine to run Rich or Lean, Electrical Issues such as bad CoilPak, Wiring, etc., even water entering the engine can cause it - did you wash the car or drive in rain recently?

I'd be very surprised if their diagnosis holds up. Just because they're Porsche Mechanics doesn't make them immune to mistakes. For a Wear Ridge to develop in the cylinder, such as you describe, you'd have to have a fairly high mileage engine. The Locasil lined cylinders are not prone to this type of wear.

As I said, long distance diagnosis is difficult at best. But, your mechanic's diagnosis would be very rare and unusual. So much so, that my initial inclination is to distrust it without further information, such as the actual codes they are getting. Of course, I may be wrong and they could be right we'll have to wait and see. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote