View Single Post
Old 10-19-2004, 06:13 AM   #1
Carrera

Replace top or plastic window?

I know the matter has been discussed in some detail earlier, but based on the previous discussions I couldn't make up my mind which way to go...

So, I have a '97 model with a fairly decent soft top, but the rear window is beyond recovery... tried Renovo and yes its better now but miracles don't happen, I'm afraid.

So the options are to replace the entire top or try to locate an upholstery shop that would just replace the rear window. If I've understood correctly, taking the top off and putting it back on again is the costly part. The plastic window doesn't cost much and an aftermarket top is not that expensive either... I haven't had the courage to even ask what a new top from Porsche would cost.

Currently I think I might as well replace the whole top if it has to be taken off anyway. Yes it might cost a couple of hundred $/€ more, but nothing excessive (I hope).

Have you guys been pleased with the after market tops or have you stayed loyal to Porsche and paid huge sums for the original replacement top?

Anyone have any experience, or heard of anyone who has, of these tops offered on eBay? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7918103757&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

The top is made of original German Sonnenland canvas and the price seems to be very competitive.
Carrera is offline   Reply With Quote