View Single Post
Old 05-06-2007, 09:25 AM   #4
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
Yes, the aircraft are a good enough reason to drive up this way. I managed to get a ride in a Stearman bi-wing from a pilot friend in the Porsche club. To fly in an open cockpit bi-wing plane is quite a hoot. I could not convince him to do an Immelman turn or a barrel roll but it was probably better that he didn't..

I missed Hershey this year but am going to try to make it next year and I will be sure to bring my van as you never know what you might pick up. Also I am going to try to make some of the local PCA swap meets so if any of you know of a P-car swap/sale meet this summer in the Tri-state area, please post to this forum.

AKL
Hi,

I've flown the Stearman and it's a great airplane. I used to own a restored '49 Piper J3 about 25 yrs. ago and shared a hanger with the Stearman.

I didn't get to ring it out either as these have become priceless antiques - $1M+.

My Cub was a thrill too - pure Stick & Rudder, tail-dragger. It had a ceiling of about 8k ft., top speed of maybe 140 (w/ a tailwind - lol), cruising speed of 85MPH. I could fill it up and fly for almost 8hrs. on a tank. With a stall speed of only 37 MPH, you could practicaly get out and walk along side it. I used to shoot approaches into the old Miegs Field in Chgo. and it could get a little tricky with crosswinds off the Lake. That's the one toy in my life that I truly regret ever selling...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote