View Single Post
Old 05-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #1
jl1252

Someone sliced my plastic rear window!

So I go out to my garage to twiddle around and clean up some odds and ends and as I walk by the rear of my car I noticed that there is a slice in my rear window. Its in the lower left (driver's side) corner almost right up against the canvas. At first I thought that it may have been a stress crack from putting the top up/down. So I get in and start putting the top down and notice that there is very little stress in the corner and that it couldn't have been from simply putting the top up/down. Also, my window is still very pliable and doubt it was from stress anyways.

The slice is basically the shape of an obtuse "\_" . I frantically called my insurance company (with whom I've never filed a claim) and discussed the issue and basically I'm covered for the repair. I then call the local Porsche dealership who informs me that they can have just the plastic replaced for $750. The service guy I talked to said they take the top off and send it to a local upholstery shop who sepcializes in automotive tops and upholstery. So, I'll skip filing a calim with my insurance and pay out of pocket to have a new plastic window sewn in. But I was so pissed off that some little bastard did this. There was nothing left in plain sight in the car either, so someone just did it out of spite.

By the way, the dealership wanted $5,500.00 to retrofit a glass windowed top with new frame to my car. Decided to pass on that obviously. I'll keep you all posted with the results.

Jeff
jl1252 is offline   Reply With Quote