View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 07:29 AM   #12
porsche986spyder

What's in a name....

The name Porsche "Boxster" to me sounds stupid. I know I'm going to get allot of flack for saying this, but the name of the car should have been the new Porsche Spyder. Just because it has a "Boxer" designed engine and it's has the race inspired "Speedster" convertable top Porsche decided to combine the names to come up with BOXSTER. Lets face it, the car was originally introduced as a redo/retro remake of the classic 550 Spyder. Just because Porsche uses the "Spyder" name badge ONLY on their LeMans seriers race car that's been around for years doesn't mean they shouldn't have used it on the manufactured and produced street 986. In fact, when the aniversary eddition came out, they even put a numbered plate on the interior that says "550 Spyder" eddition. It's on the center console. So I preffer the 986 emblem. It's our model and just sounds better than Boxster. Spyder would have been better. RUF has their own version of the 987, called the RK Spyder. It's a heavily modified 987 with a turbo. They re-badge the rear deck lid and put a RK Spyder decal on it. Enough said.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote