View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 06:53 AM   #20
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I'd be interested in seeing the statistics on that. Most mid-engine cars are high performance cars also. I wonder if you look at engine placement in the sports car market segment if there is really any difference in engine fire frequency. Iv'e seen plenty of turbocharged front engine sports cars with engine bay cooling issues.

Having said that, I'm sure the Fiero really canted the numbers towards the mid-engine fire tendancy.
Hi,

I don't have any statistics at hand, although in this statistics crazed world, I bet they exist. But engine fires are somewhat common in the Esprit, the NSX, the Fiero and even the Boxster has experienced numerous engine fire reports.

Funny story, the only fire I ever had in my Esprit was on the Track at BIR. I was going for a Track Day and wanted to swap Brake Pads. I stayed up all night prepping the car and then drove up to Brainerd thinking this would be sufficient to bed-in the Pads. Anyway, I got there, took some Hot Laps and pulled back into the Pits. As I was walking away from the car, someone yelled "Hey - your car's on fire!" I turned and there was smoke coming from the right front wheel well - the Paint on the Pad Backing Plate had caught fire! Luckily, there was a bucket of water right there and I threw it on the wheel and put it out. I continued the day without incident...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote