View Single Post
Old 09-22-2004, 10:46 PM   #15
Lux

Quote:
Originally posted by bamaboxster
I'm told Porsche drains the initial oil and other fluids at the factory after a QC treadmill test of some sort.
I've never heard of this. Is this verified fact or rumor? I have a tough time believing that they would fill up all fluids and change it after, what...half a mile?

Quote:
Therefore your new Boxster does not have "break in" fluid in with the oil like some other manufacturers.
I disagree. The engine will continue to break in for a few more miles than any treadmill run can muster. I've seen oil analyses that show high amounts of metals for a few thousand miles until it tapers off (breaks in).

Bottom line: after spending $60K for a car I'm not going to sweat $150.

I'm sure the factory oil can go for quite a few miles but I'm just not comfortable with that long an interval.

Quote:
Mobil 1 does a great job of protecting an engine. I've seen how well it performs during race engine teardowns. 10 quarts of Mobil 1 and the advanced oiling technology in the Boxster, it should be OK up to 15K.
If you really want to extend oil drain intervals, I suggest you do periodic oil analyses. This is the only way to tell and is a lot better than guessing. A lot of people use http://www.blackstone-labs.com/.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote