Thread: Tool Kit?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 03:06 PM   #9
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschedude
I would agree that Craftsman tools are great. I use my socket sets a lot. If you are patient, you can get the Craftsman set tools on sale at very good deals. If you are using your tools once or twice a year, then any brand would be fine.
Hi,

Having wrenched on cars for nearly 40 years, I would have to disagree. The issue with cheap tools is mainly that they are stamped from some peculiar dies. Meaning they don't fit exactly right. This means they more easily round-off a fastener. They can also crack more easily. Cheap tools are just that - cheap.

My time is worth too much, and my time to wrench on cars too little to have the tools I use jam me up. Craftsman and Snap-On are probably the best tool values out there and of very similar quality. Craftsman Tools are a lot less expensive than Snap-On, so this has always been my 1st choice. Nothing against Snap-On except I'd rather spend the cost differential on parts.

If money's burning a hole in your pocket, then Facom are probably the best made tools in the World - standard in every Ferrari and Lamborghini Tool Kit - http://www.pro.facom.fr/CatalogueGeneral/Catalogue/PAG-CAT-03.aspx . But, if you're buying Facom Tools, you can probably afford to have someone else service your car...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 04-05-2007 at 03:43 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote