Thread: Nexen tires
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 07:49 PM   #11
kt1

I've had the Nexen n3000s on my wheels for about 4-5 months now (Fronts 225/40/18 Rears 265/35/18). Wet traction is decent and dry traction is great. Sidewall flex is good for these types of tires along with the pickup from a rolling start, there are no chirping of the tires on cornering either. Road noise is okay given the sidewall stiffness, freeway noise is not bad and very quiet.

These tires are comparable to the Falken ZE512s and Yokohoma Es-100s. Classified as all season mid-level tires.

I've owned the falkens ZEs, Yoks, Michelin Pilots, Kumho ECSTAs, Falken Azenis, and other brands that slip my mind at the time and these surprised me well.

As for the comment above on "Porsche approved list" it's essentially a dummy list for people who aren't too famaliar with tires and specifications. So to clear some things up...

There are three variables on tires when purchasing.

1. Size
2. Speed Rating
3. Traction Wear

Size is obvious, you must match the tire size of your wheels so as rubbing issues won't occur. Speed ratings on these tires are Y rating, meaning they can go up to 186mph. Highest are Z ratings which are roughly 190 (I work at Firestone Auto Care and don't have my booklet with me). And finally traction wear, general rule of thumb is that the higher the number it'll be less "performance oriented" and has stiffer rubber compounds. I think the michelin pilots are 140 speedwear rating so that means they'll wear faster and the average age is 12,000 miles. The speedwear rating on the Nexens are 340, meaning they're a much harder compound and will not wear off as much. You can get almost 20-25,000 miles on these (mileage may vary depending on your car's alignment specs, style of driving, etc).

Hope that clears up any confusion and don't follow the simple logic fallacy of authority because big brother (porsche dealership) said it's not on their list doesn't mean you cannot do the research and find out on your own.

One thing though, at the tracks the Michelin Pilots sticked a lot better on fast starts and cornering than the Nexens. So obviously you'll take a hit on performance driving with these tires. But as for longetivity, these tires are almost double the life span of the Michelins.

Last edited by kt1; 03-08-2007 at 07:54 PM.
kt1 is offline   Reply With Quote