View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 08:10 PM   #36
JackG

[QUOTE=racer_d]I like this confusing discussion, but I agree with JIM.... It doesn't matter how much HP your car has. HP doesn't impact brakes. As it was once explained to me, as long as you have enough braking power to "lock them up" then you have "enough brake".

--- You are over-simplifying things, and someone you knew was mis-informed. A set of brakes can be designed that can "lock" in a quick braking excercise, but will overheat and fade rather quickly on the track. They are not "enough". All brakes are not the same.

The advantage to larger brakes is their ability to stand up to REPEATED heavy braking. Heat management. Stopping once or twice on the street, or slowing from 70-30 a couple times on the highway will not show much difference.

--- Agreed, that is one big advantage.

BTW, the reported 7 foot difference is braking distances is likely MORE attributable to weather, tire and road conditions than the brakes themselves.

--- Were you there? Are you sure? Maybe it was skewed, but in the other direction. The actual diff is 16 feet, in the S brake's favor.

I've never known a racer that said " I have enough brakes." Are you sure you are a racer, racer_d? Everyone knows that if you have better brakes, you can go faster. If you go faster, you need better brakes. The recipe for better brakes is widely known. More rotor, more pad, etc. You guys duke it out...

:ah:
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote