View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 01:34 PM   #8
MNBoxster

Hi,

Go to Blackstone Labs - http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ There, you'll get a free sampling kit and are only charged once the sample is sent for analysis -$20.

But, the sample you send in is only a snapshot. For it to be useful, you'll have to do a further analysis at the next Oil Change and do a comparison. I suspect it's probably nothing, every engine loses some mass (metal), and every Oil Sample will have amounts of metals in it.

The Magnet and magnetic drain plug is a good idea, but I don't like the idea of leaving it in for an entire service interval. The magnets will attract the ferrous particles (will do nothing for any Alloy parts which make up a significant amount of the engine internals on the M96 motor), and clump them together. This risks something jarring them loose and now you have a high concentration of the stuff zooming through your Oiling system. So, if you go this route, I'd suggest removing the magnets and cleaning them monthly or every 1500 or so mi. and topping the Oil back up once reinstalled.

There's not really a lot you can do about it except keep an eye on it, or spend mega bucks opening up the motor and spec'ing every part, which at this juncture I think is unwarranted. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-22-2007 at 01:37 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote