View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 10:23 PM   #18
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
Yeah.. I'm not happy about that. Guess I won't buy newer than what I got

Is that true with GT2/GT3/TTs too? They are based on a different case and purported to be more "dry sumpish" than the 986/996 base motors.
Hi,

No, they are based upon the old GT1 engine. In 1998 The GT1 Racer, went water cooled, but, on the same basic dry sumped design (block). Today's Turbos, GT2, GT3 motors are derivations of that 40 year old dry sump design, but, with full water cooling, 4 valves/cyl, and variable valve timing.

In the '90s, porsche designed a totally new flat 6 - the M96 emphasizing manufacturing efficiencies. This new motor had the cylinders cast in unit with the case halves, and a new steel two piece cradle around the crankshaft.....and the "integrated dry sump". The integrated dry sump is really just a familiar oil pan below the crank and counter shafts, but, separated from them (except in the middle where there's a hole) by horizontal casting. The oil pump sucks out of the pan and supplies the engine directly from there....there is no external tank like a true Dry Sump engine.

The GT2/GT3/TTs, derived from the GT1 engine (actually just the block) therefore all have a traditional Dipstick, but there is talk of modifying the M96 engine which if adopted, wouldn't have one...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote