View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 08:19 PM   #7
Dohertycm

Just got thru it

Alright you guys, I just finished doing the boots on my 2000 Boxster S (six speed)....and I say that because there might be some size differences between the 5 speed and the 6 speed.....I will explain later...

Looking at your steps while doing this I decided to modify the proceedure to fit my needs....and add to the notes...kinda like nice to knows... And as a note all of my boots were fully torn...

The first thing I want to mention is before doing this is go and get a 32mm socket with a cheater bar....I got mine from Harbor Freight Tools you will need that to get the axle nut off....I had the cheater bar AND an impact wrench...they were stubborn.

Next thing is I dont know what this driveshaft puller is, so I unbolted the brake and brake line clamp an moved the brake out of the way and took the hub off.
when the time came I used a bearing puller to push the axle out of the hub, This worked great. I didnt want to pull against the hub for fear of warping it.

I only jacked up the rear of the car, instead of unloading all of the wheels. The most important thing here to me was it was necessary to remove the sway bar bolts to allow full motion of the arm. So i had a jack under the car and a jack under the axle to raise it during the removal of the shaft.

The passenger side came out easy once the axle was loose, but the drivers side was a complete different story.
I didnt want to remove the exhaust, so I backed the axle out as far as it would go and seeing that it only lacked about 1/4 inch to be free, I lightly tapped it.... with a short handle 5lbs sledge, and it came right out. There was just enough give in the combined parts to allow for the deflection. Going back in, I did the same thing, got everything lined up, the shaft on the splines and got to that 1/4 inch spot and did a deflection shot back into position.

I have over 20 years experience as a jet engine mechanic so dont blast me about the 5lbs sledge hammer, It has taken me a long time to learn what takes a whack and what needs a deflection tap...And maybe there is a size difference in the case which what makes this worth a deflection whack vise exhaust removal. I dont know, but it worked for me.

I didnt have anyone to help me with the tightening of the cv joints so i got 3 long extentions and put a torque wrench on the end and went around shaft tightening it.

I will say this, i ONLY looked at the Bentley manual for the Torque specs on the CV nuts... you did a good job of describing the procedure.
Nice job Jack

Chris
Dohertycm is offline   Reply With Quote