View Single Post
Old 02-17-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
MikenOH

Garage
Max tire pressure rating question (NBC)

I'm getting ready to replace tires on my Explorer--Mich Cross Terrain--and settled on the Kumho Venture based on price and tire rack ratings.

As I get ready to place the order,I came across a tire spec that made me reconsider the purchase--a max tire pressure rating of 35PSI.

The Explorer has a recommnded tire pressure setting at 35PSI (cold) F/R; I tend to add a pund or two above that. Additionally as the tires heat this tire pressure may go up+5-7PSI depending on outside temp and how your driving. My concern is that despite having an appropriate load rating, this tire might not be able to handle the usual pressures I drive at.

When I ask called TireRack about this I had one rep say don't buy this tire and another say no problem. The technical section on tires on their website made it appear that this wouldn't be a problem but have to say when I see a stamp on the sidewall that say this is the max pressure, I tend to believe it.

Would appreciate any info on whether this is an reason to exclude this tire or not.
Thanks for any help.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote