View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 09:38 AM   #17
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
I think its too high. Mine was 17,000 with 70,000 miles. I prefer the higher milage because the engine has been good so far, so it rules out a lot of factory defects. Plus, with the 3,500 you would "save" you could put it into mods that suit your taste, not that guys. You could buy the wheels you want, a new nav system, new suspension, and other little stuff if your a good bargain hunter. Ive put 4,000 into my car and its pretty much perfect. It will be even more perfect when I get the side skirts on next week, finally, or at least I better... or else. The difference between a 30,000 mile engine and a 100,000 mile engine is that parts on the 100,000 mile engine may need to be replaced due to wear, but the same goes for letting a 20,000 mile engine sit for 8 years.
Hi,

Sorry, have to disagree. At 20k mi., everything is nicely sorted out. Wear patterns are established and any factory defects would have made themselves known by this mileage. This is especially true of the engine where more exacting tolerances will show up a defective parts in just a few hundred miles.

Of course, any used car can experience problems, but at 20k mi., it won't be due to low mileage. Age may be a factor in dry seals, hoses and other things, but mechanically, if it breaks, you can't blame the mileage. Modern cars have a short infancy and old age, but a much lengthened adolescence. At 20k mi., the car is well into it's stride. I would buy any 986 with 15k mi. or more and not give it a thought. Lower mileage cars will probably cost less over the 1st 5 years of ownership than a higher mileage one and retain a higher resale value in the bargain. Go for the nicest car you can afford. If the miles are relatively low, that's a bonus. Get a PPI, if it passes, never give it another thought...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote